1.6

After all, there is no need to give a tool affection if it simply does its job.

When younger Flores sibling stepped out onto the porch, Camila excitedly hugged him. Once she realized her childishness, she quickly stepping back. With an embarrassed blush and a light cough, she spoke, feigning ignorance of her previous action.

"Hey Felix. It's been a while."

The blonde-haired youth nodded with an amused smile. "It has. I heard you've met my friend a couple times while I was away."

Camila's eyes lit up as she happily chattered. "Oh, Cedric? He's super sweet. You caught yourself a keeper baby bro." She jabbed at him a few times, wiggling her eyebrows in a way that cracked a slight smile out of Felix's stoic expression. "Oh! And I brought some groceries for you two. Here."

Camila shoved two bags into his hand. The bags were filled to the brim with fresh fruits, vegetables, and produce.

"Thanks Camila. This'll keep us busy for another few weeks. And that?" Felix nodded toward the white confection box that she held by the handle.

Camila held up the box. "This is a thank you gift to Cedric for the chocolate chip cookies he gave to me. It's fruit cake." She handed it over, and with a mischievous wink, spoke. "But none for you of course. I bet you've done nothing but been spoiled by Cedric's immaculate care so far."

I mean, she's not wrong...

But when did Cedric make cookies? Felix briefly searched through his hazy memories as a fox before remembering.

Cedric was baking in order to thank Camila for meal prep groceries. He wouldn't let the fox eat any because he wasn't sure how it would affect him. The fluffy cub sat on the island watching him bustle around the counter, hum a tune, and occasionally turn around to pet the fox. Its tail wagged a little bit harder when approached and more softly when left alone. Amber eyes narrowed with satisfaction.

Felix's eyes softened thinking about it. "Soon enough, I'll be the one spoiling him."

With a squeak Camila put her hands to her face, peeking through her fingers as if trying to hide from PDA, but also attempting to watch it unfold. "Too sappy. Go back into the apartment already! No one wants to hear about this."

Camilia's hands dramatically dropped to her sides in loose fists and with a big sigh, whined. "How could my little baby brother find true love faster than his older, beautiful, and more mature sister? The world truly doesn't treat the gifted well..."

Felix could feel a tiny smile sliver onto his face. Really, only his sister's antics could get to him so easily. "Yes, yes. Don't worry, I believe you'll find someone perfect. But," he paused, a cold glint in his eyes, "it better be someone I approve of."

Camila reached out and pinch the Felix's nose, tugging it down enough that his head was bowing. "Silly brother, both you and mom are the same." She quickly rubbed his soft hair with her hand before preparing to leave. "I'll be fine. Go back and be goo goo-eyed at your roomie or whatever. I have a rendezvous with Andrew, and I want to arrive earlier to rub it in. Love you!" And like that, Camila left; peace resumed as if no one had ever interrupted it.

While the Flores siblings were chatting, Cedric briefly conversed with his system, not moving an inch away from the bed.

"Hey system, what missions are left?"

[5 have been completed, 1 is left. You actually finished 3 at once after the second main protagonist woke up. All that's left is to allow the main characters to become a couple. And in the plot that happens right before the end of summer.]

"End of summer... I don't get to see Cedric's parents after all." The paternal warmth that emanated from the Cedric household, made Cedric feel a sense of peace he had never experienced before. Although they could never be around for long, they always took time to check in on him, spend time with him, and cherish the child they had. Cedric felt overwhelmed with the amount of care given to him, even if it wasn't intended for him, but the body he resided in. It was something The Forest never gave him.

He was just a tool to It. Bound to Its will. After all, there is no need to give a tool affection if it simply does its job.

System 85 could say little other than comforting words. Being a system was his job, and this job meant that he was bound to the rules. As much as he would love to make an exception to let Kettle stay longer and wrap up loose ends, he was required to stay professional, and concise.

System 85 felt slightly dizzy thinking about it. At times, he felt that his purposes were misplaced, and he should abandon it to help Cedric. He shook it off quickly. No matter how much he appreciated Cedric's conduct, he must remain professional.

Cedric slowly responded.

"It's okay. A little upsetting, but okay. I... just wish to thank them for everything."