4.2

"Your name is what brings you humanity."

If Nanjie's ruling palace could be described as toweringly majestic in its exquisite material and careful detail, then Beijie's would be the opposite: expansive, elegant and endless. His eyes wandered to the meticulously low and wide architecture that hugged the ground. Each building was interwoven with unique curling flowers or spiraling woods, and all with the same dark oaken color and hung banners colored from the same palette.

Beijie's palaces clustered around the largest of them all. It rose over Amari's sight as he stepped down, considerably tall in comparison to any other. The carriage had left him behind in the distance. Another servant timidly asked him to follow along. The clothes of the servants passing were loose and relaxed, with straight and breathable fabrics. They were unlike the flowing, courtesan robes that held fast to Amari's skin—to which a dry heat had begun to tighten its hold onto.

"There, I-I can, request a change of clothes for you, Caller."

The servant boy was quick to jump at Amari's mild-mannered agreement. He maintained his distance all while scurrying back and forth as they navigated the halls. The familiar prickle of stares prodded sharply into his sides. And yet, the low whispers did not follow to mock Amari. This place was an oddity, he thought.

"The king and the third princess are inside," said the servant. He gestured to the door.

"I understand. Thank you."

Before thanks finished leaving Amari's lips, the servant placed something smooth into his palms, before shaking his head.

"For you, Caller. It's not common to speak thanks here. They don't have meaning."

Without further notice, the servant pulled open the door and beckoned to Amari. Swept along the expectant gaze, Amari stepped inside. The room was not grand in size, but was rather luxurious in comfort. Long couches were strewn with thick, woolen quilts and silken fabrics. A dark, burgundy flag unfurled against the backdrop. Floral, calming incense wafted up against the doorway.

A regal, well-aged man sat on couch. In an armchair to his right was a young woman traced in his features. They shared the same, deep gold-sepia skin and thick, curly hair. The man's gaze lit up with a welcome curiosity. Yet, the younger woman remained a glass doll. Her gaze fell far beyond the confines of the room.

Before Amari could begin to wonder, the man caught his greater attention by standing up to greet him. He was dressed as any of the other servants—sharing the same patterned cloth and slacks—yet there was a certain assurance in his eye. Something the others lacked. It was a trained wisdom that brought him a wise, regal air.

"Please sit down," the man said, gesturing amiably to the cushions opposite. Amari complied, every step delicate, as if one wrong move would set off a trap planted beneath the thick carpets.

"Welcome to Beijie. I apologize for the sudden circumstances I've put you through. Your journey was not too challenging, I hope?"

"It was not."

"Good. My apologies—I am King Qianlong. This is my third oldest, Princess Xinyi."

Princess Xinyi held her posture with customary formality. Her hands were folded neat in her lap. Her fixed gaze turned to settle on Amari. The disguised inattentiveness disappeared at once. She didn't stare at Amari's striking face, but rather, the violet-black hair that hung past his shoulders.

She nodded, "Welcome, Caller."

Her voice struck Amari as particularly unique. It was brusque and low, yet with soft intonation. Amari eyed her with a mild curiosity but returned to the king as he spoke.