𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐

At a lengthy table in what they called the "control room", San sat with his eyes squared up, observing each piece of surveillance footage on the large screen in front of him, surrounded by his new team doing work of their own at their individual stations.

The room was surprisingly sleek and modern with long stainless steel tables, every one polished with a shiny white finish, stretching across the room and divided into several stations for the many that worked there. Aside from that, more secluded stations were aligned along each side of the room for the more classified work. 

At each of the stations sat a computer used to record information from the cameras and monitor activity on the base that would be reported by them to the lieutenants daily.

It was a far cry from the old and run-down facilities that the boys had used during their training, and a pleasant surprise to all of them, but the environment came with a great deal of pressure since officers as high as generals frequently visited the control room. It was only logical that they kept it so well maintained.

Straight ahead of where San sat was a wall taken up entirely by a large screen monitor that showed every military base in map form and gave minimal information on it, and, if clicked on, revealed every piece of CCTV footage in the area.

It was fucking awesome, the real deal, and hinted at just how much control they actually held—and San had been lucky enough to be stationed there and experience all of it.

But the only two with authorization to control the screen were the CCTV's team leader and his support leader if given permission to do so. In other words, the two in charge, and known to San as Lieutenants Jeon and Lee, Lee holding the title of Second Lieutenant and Jeon, the First Lieutenant, Jeon also apparently in the running for a promotion to Captain, which was extremely competitive and a major deal.

San squeezed his eyes shut briefly and rolled them around in his head a few times to counteract the slight stinging, beginning to feel the strain on his eyes from staring at his display for too long, something that had become somewhat of a daily struggle.

Seeing his struggle, Lieutenant Lee called for him.

"Choi, it looks like the camera in sector B is acting up again. Head over there with the tools and radio back to me with an update."

Lieutenant Jeon flicked his eyes over to San and followed up with, "Don't be long," emitting a much stronger and somewhat vicious energy.

The two were the epitome of the expression good-cop, bad-cop.

San popped up from his chair, leaving it to slowly rotate behind him, and gave both superiors a hard salute before making his way out of the brightly lit room, his large boots clanking against the linoleum flooring before he stepped outside where he was instantly blinded, the natural sunlight dizzying from such a distinct sensory change.

It was almost every day since he'd been there, which was nearing a week, that at least one of the cameras on base had some type of technical issue. San felt like he'd become some kind of pro at fixing them, which was probably part of the reason he was usually the one called on to do it.

It was sweltering outside but he wasn't complaining since his eyes felt a second away from popping out of his skull.

"Back again, huh?" Soobin remarked as San walked up.

The younger typically hung around that area with Yeonjun and Taehyun, all of them in charge of sweeping the camera-less areas and reporting back to the control room.

"Yep, I should get a look at your face at least once a day, don't you think?"

Soobin chuckled and nodded in agreement.