CHAPTER TWO

If any system could be considered the bright center of the universe, Coruscant fits the bill by its location in the galaxy and cosmopolitan ecumenopolis. As the capital of the Empire, it was the best place to represent it. Its shining megastructures could be seen from outer space, carpeting the surface of the planet in circular and linear patterns. The population growth throughout the centuries led to a lack of developmental areas; a problem solved by constructing future layers of city above each other, connected by massive underworld portals. In time, this resulted in the 5127 levels. Living conditions worsened the further one lived from the sumptuous surface, while safety and even air quality became an issue, rendering the first four levels uninhabitable.

Though eye-catching, the sight of a Tri-Vanquish 1 landspeeder parked near the majestic Galaxies Opera House in the upper level of the Uscru District, didn't raise suspicion.

"Come on, Eels. Hurry up," said Kogo-Leeto from the passenger seat of the landspeeder. The young Rodian tried to calm his nerves by fumbling with a chain code card getting stuck on his cupped fingertips.

"Almost there," said Elynn, typing on her datapad with great speed. Her headset—a customized advanced agent interface—played music and projected a hologram in front of her, displaying the code of the city network she was slicing into. She was an eighteen-year-old Theelin with green eyes, mottled, lavender skin, and short teal hair with pink highlights.

"You know, most people would consider stealing speeders enough excitement," Kogo-Leeto said. "I don't see why you have to add slicing to it."

"Because... what better way to hide a crime than with another? Plus, we're going to need the speed when this goes up. The ISB is cracking down on Shadowfeeds." She gained access to the network. "Yes! Come on, baby." She began to upload data into the level's HoloNet.

"Yeah, but you're not getting paid for that—and neither I am. Can you be an activist on your own time?"

"Some things are worth more than credits, Leeto." Elynn watched the loading bar change from red to yellow.

"Name one."

"Freedom."

"You can buy freedom if you have enough credits."

"Then consider this a public service."

"Which I'm sure will be part of our sentence if we get caught." A police siren blared in the distance. "Speaking of speed. Come on, Eels." Kogo-Leeto tapped the chain code on the side of the speeder.

"Almost there."

The loading bar reached green. The sirens got closer.

"Argh! Come one, Eels. Please!"

"Done!" Elynn unplugged the scomp link of her datapad from the computer terminals and hurried back to the speeder, covering her head with the hood of her sweatshirt sticking out under her short jacket.

She watched as the advertisement for Moogan tea flicker and begin to display scenes of partisan soldiers and Wookiees, fighting side-by-side against Imperial forces. The voice of Saw Gerrera announced the seizing of a wroshyr refinery in Kashyyyk with the help of freed Wookiee slaves. The broadcast played all around the level in every sign, billboard, and hologram.

"Let's see how the Imps manage to spin this one." Elynn leaned against the speeder, admiring her work. The police sirens continued to wail a few blocks away.

"Eels, I beg you. Let's go." Kogo-Leeto clasped his hands together and hung his head low.

"Relax, we have plenty of time to smoke the cops."

"This is the Imperial Security Service," the voice boomed at the same time spotlights fell on the kids.

"E chu ta." Kogo-Leeto's antennae dropped.