CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Elynn meditated in her cabin. The objects around her floated one by one, arranging themselves in a precarious pile in front of her—all except for the datapad she had been modifying. Syrran had taught her to pick one object in the pile and focus her mind on it. The idea was to maintain her concentration while shifting her focus, not to manipulate the item, but try to place her mind in it. As she did this, she registered the first whisper of darkness, which grew stronger with her every breath. The chill spreading at the center of her chest made Elynn lose concentration. The tower of items crumpled. The sensation had come from inside Theleema's cabin. Intrigued, Elynn left her room. She approached the door and placed her palm on it to check if she could perceive more.

"Don't bother him." Theleema startled the girl. Elynn could have sworn the witch hadn't been there a second before.

"Oh... I felt something coming from your cabin." Elynn was embarrassed.

"Sever tends to experience a recurrent vision when he meditates."

"In your cabin?" Elynn moved away from the door.

Theleema gave her an ambiguous smile. "Sometimes."

"What's the vision about?"

"He never says. But it's strong... and dark. You felt it."

"I was meditating too."

"The Force is strong in you. I can teach you a few things, if you want me to."

"No, thanks."

"Why? Because you fear I will turn you to the dark side?" Theleema derided.

"She can read minds too."

"Sever does when he fights."

"That's different."

"Is it? How so? Because his lightsabers are purple and mine red? There's only one Force. We're the ones who choose sides when we use it. I'm going to the cargo hold to practice before you guys. You're welcome to spar with me, if you like. After all, I'm the kind of opponent Syrran is training you to fight against, right? Maybe I can give you a few insider tips."

Elynn watched the Dathomirian go into the cargo hold, while considering the offer.

"Alright, I guess sparring is fine."

Elynn went inside the empty cargo hold. The door shut behind her and the lights turned off. Elynn turned to leave, but she found herself in the middle of a great emptiness.

What the Void? Elynn searched for the panel on the wall. It couldn't have been more than a few centimeters away. "This isn't funny."

"It's not meant to be." The witch's voice sounded omnipresent.

"I came to train with you, not to play games."

"Who says this is a game?"

Elynn tried to sense where Theleema was. "This is krayt spit,"

"Are you afraid?" Theleema's voice said right next to the girl's ear.

Elynn spun around, but found no one. "Cut it out! It's not funny." She lit the shoto Syrran had loaned her for practice.

"Is that what you're going to tell the Inquisitors the next time we meet?" Theleema's voice now came from somewhere far. "Or the Sith?" The voice projected closer and from Elynn's left side.

"You're a kriffing idiot, you know? Let me out." Even with her lightsaber on, Elynn couldn't find a wall in the small cargo hold.

Theleema's laughter travelled through the gloom. "The only way out is through me." Her voice was directly in front of Elynn.