CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"Nosche, something came up. I tried to contact you, but I couldn't reach you," said the hologram of a handsome member of the Near-human Miraluka race in his early-thirties with tanned skin; long, light gray hair tied behind his back, and a leather blindfold covering his species' vestigial eyes sockets. "I was waiting for you in Coronet City, but an urgent situation in Kashyyyk forced me to leave. The Empire has the Partisans on retreat. I came to aid with the evacuation, but things are not going well. Something threatened our mission. I need your help. I'm sending my coordinates. I hope this message finds you in time. May the Force be with you."

"This message came in earlier today." Theleema sat at the Talon's controls, as they travelled through hyperspace.

"Is that Jarriss?" Elynn looked at the hologram.

"Yeah. I tried to hail him, but he didn't respond. Something must've happened to him."

"What was he doing in Kashyyyk?" Syrran said.

"As far as I know, he was smuggling weapons to rebel cells in Kashyyyk and Mimban. As to how this would jeopardize our mission, I have no clue. But Jarriss wouldn't leave Corellia if it wasn't serious."

"Imperial News Network says the Partisans were losing ground."

"It has to be propaganda," Elynn said. "I recently uploaded a Shadowfeed in Coruscant announcing them taking control of a refinery."

"Kashyyyk is the planet Quinlan Vos came from before coming to Jedha," Gorin said.

"Coincidence?"

"There's not such a thing, little sister. Only the will of the Force."

"We can't let anything expose our mission." Syrran took a hand to his chin. "Plus, I agree with Gorin, this is too much to be a coincidence."

"You still think this is all connected?" Theleema turned off the hologram.

"Without a doubt... though, I fail to see the bigger picture yet."

"The Force will reveal everything in its proper time," Gorin said.

"Jarriss is our way inside the ceremony." Theleema searched for Kashyyyk on her navigation computer. "Without him, we'll have to find another way in without raising suspicion. And we're also going to be one lightsaber short to face Darth Vader. No offense."

"None taken," Elynn said.

"Who's that?" Gorin lifted his war helmet.

"The Sith Lord who's the Emperor's apprentice."

"The detour would cut into our preparation time in Coruscant, though." Theleema checked the distances between the planets in question.

"My contacts in the capital can help us with that," Elynn said. "And anyway, we have to help the rebels. We can't let the Empire eliminate another resistance cell."

"Our mission is far more important," Syrran said. "If we do this right, there would be no need for any of them."

"And if we don't?" Gorin said.

"What, no more faith in the Force?" Theleema turned her chair to face him.

"Master Rancisis says the future is always in motion. There lies the danger of prophecy. Visions can be clouded, misinterpreted, or the outcome can change if a different path is taken. I put my faith in the will of the Force, but I don't pretend to know its designs. I just do my best to choose the right path."

"You know, for a Padawan, you sound more like a Master," Syrran said.

"Master Rancisis said, 'A Master is just a Padawan who never stopped learning.'"