CHAPTER ELEVEN

Sitting in her office at the Imperial Inspectorate Headquarters, Inspector General Eisvolk reviewed the latest changes to the to the Imperial intelligence agencies in the aftermath of the recent Berch Teller campaign. Due to the treacherous actions of former Director of the Naval Intelligence, Vice Admiral Dodd Rancit, every Imperial intelligence organization now fell under the command of the Imperial Military Intelligence. The change has made Eisvolk an Inspector General within a department, not an agency, providing yet another blow to her ambitions. It seemed to her every time she neared the summit of the mountain, it grew several meters higher. But Eisvolk didn't come this far in her career to stop climbing.

"Commander?" A captain entered the office.

"What is it?" Eisvolk looked up from her monitor.

"Sir, we've located the missing KX security droid from the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research."

"Where?"

"An art gallery in the Arandonti Ravine."

"Why would a security droid wind end up there?"

"I don't know, sir. But that's where the locator beacon is transmitting from."

"I was told the droid's beacon had been deactivated."

"Not anymore. It's been transmitting in the Coruscant Security Force frequency for the last several minutes. That's how we managed to fix its position at the shop. I ordered the CSF to stand down and was ready to deploy a team of death troopers, but the Order of Inquisitors delayed the operation."

An upset Eisvolk left her desk. "What? Why?"

"I don't know, sir. The order came directly from the Grand Inquisitor. I came to inform you ASAP. Should I go ahead and deploy the team?" The captain disliked being superseded by the Red Blades as much as the Inspector General.

"No. Tell them to wait for me. I'm taking charge of the operation. Inform Lord Vader about the situation right away."

"Yes, sir."

###

Elynn's program cracked the password in the KX's memory bank. She brought up the file's directory. The header caught her attention, Special Weapons Group. A quick read provided the Theelin with some salient points. The project, supervised by the director of the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research, Orson Callan Krennic, aimed to provide sustainable energy to worlds ravaged by the Clone Wars. It required massive amounts of kyber crystals mined from a planet called Jedha, and shipped to Geonosis for the construction of something called Stardust. The energy requirements implied the project had to be massive and had been commissioned during the last years of the Republic. Its original funding came from a conglomerate comprised by the Trade Federation, the Muunnilinst Banking Clan, the Techno Union, and the Galactic Republic. The head of crystallography and energy enrichment, Galen Walton Erso, had been recruited from Zerpen Industries due to his unparalleled expertise on the subject of kyber crystals, as well his prominent research in their synthetic growth. A side note on his entry declared the scientist as missing. She found another name, Dzargos Xan, associated with Zerpen Industries and synthesized kyber crystals.

This must be what the Curator is looking for. But for Elynn the bigger question remained why did the Empire have a sustainable energy project under their Department of Advanced Weapons Research? Elynn knew the only use kyber crystals had was in the construction of lightsabers. They concentrated energy and remained stable in temperatures comparable to those found at the core of large stars.

"Find anything?" Kogo-Leeto watched the security cameras while Elynn worked.

"Quite a bit." Elynn downloaded the information into her datapad. "Now we have some leverage to negotiate with."