CHAPTER THIRTEEN

A young Sever strolled on a stone walkaway in the Room of a Thousand Fountains at the Jedi Temple. Hailing from a frigid planet, he found the lush flora of the vast greenhouse fascinating. He enjoyed coming here to meditate to the sound of its waterwalls, rather than inside the chapel located at the end of the hall, where Master Yoda had told him his lesson in the Force would be held today. Sever favored dark robes due to his formative years prior to his induction into the Jedi Order. Although possessing the athletic built of a man in his twenties, the braid dangling over his right shoulder denoted him as an Initiate.

Things around the Temple had been hectic as of late. The annual Apprentice Tournament had taken place a few days ago, overseen by Master Cin Drallig. Jedi had travelled from all over the galaxy looking for potential apprentices. Thirty-two younglings had displayed their fighting prowess in single combat, and later in an all-out brawl held among the top eight participants. The event capped the trials required to become a Padawan. Masters picked those who excelled, following recommendations from their instructors. The others would present themselves in front of the Council of Reassignment to be assigned to one of the four Jedi Service Corps branches: Agricultural, Medical, Educational, and Exploration. In certain cases, Initiates would be appointed to a specific Master due to cultural tradition, possession of a remarkable talent, or following a revelation by the Force.

Sever reasoned this would be the way he would be a Padawan when his time came. His physical development prevented him from participating. No precedent existed of his species in the known galaxy. By the time he turned ten, Syrran had grown to the size of a twenty-year-old man with matching intellect, barring him from continuing training among the other younglings of his clan. Faced with this unique dilemma, the Jedi Council resolved to assign him private tutors appropriate to his commendable talents. This resulted in Sever growing up without interacting with his peers—something his idiosyncrasies had done from the beginning—and at times, provoked jealousy and resentment among them.

Sever stopped by a creek, sensing the presence before it revealed itself atop the gentle waterfall. "Master Windu," he said without a hint of surprise.

Although his body language and heat signature were normal, the sudden presence of his lightsaber combat teacher made Sever wary. Master Windu never addressed him outside the Combat Training Chamber.

"You have come a long way, young Qer." Mace displayed his usual curtness, using the surname the Order gave him. "Your teachers are impressed. They believe you are ready to become a Padawan—particularly Master Yoda."

Sever remained silent, a tactic he found useful when unsure of a situation. People always revealed their intentions if allowed to expound. But his Master held his gaze unperturbed.

"Any thoughts?" Mace said.

"I believe my record speaks for itself, Master." The innate detachment in his voice made the Jedi sound warm in comparison.

Mace eyebrows raised in contempt. "You know what I think?"

"Master Yoda disapproves of me reading the minds of others."

Mace scoffed. "I think to continue training you would be a grave mistake."

"With all due respect, Master. I fail to see the logic in your statement."

"That's precisely the problem. A Jedi must feel to be in touch with the Force. You value reason above anything else."

"Something Master Yoda has diligently helped me address throughout the years to his satisfaction. He even gave me a twig of the Great Tree to grow in my room to help me develop my sensitivity to the Force." The Force-sensitive uneti tree was a species of plant from the planet Ahch-To. An ancient one had been transplanted to the Jedi Temple's courtyard in Coruscant.