CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

The ComfortRide streaked across Coruscant's night sky with Elynn behind the controls. Jarriss had used the Force to triage Syrran, providing vitality, pain relief, and accelerating his natural healing. The Chiss cauterized wounds needed medical attention, but he used Vaapad to turn his pain into vitality. Thanks to Elynn's slicing, the Imperial Palace had no way of communicating with the Coruscant Guard and the Coruscant Security Force. Still, a craft, exceeding the legal speed limit in restricted airspace, attracted the unwanted attention of the CSF, which at the upper levels of the planet meant GU-series Guardia police droids.

"ComfortRide GLD-204, this is the Coruscant Security Force. Stop your vehicle immediately. Over," the police droid said through the craft's comm. The police speeder had a hard time keeping up with the airspeeder.

"Can you lose them?" Theleema said.

"In this flying brick?" Elynn was disappointed they were not aboard the craft they had rigged. "I doubt it." She clicked the communicator. "Ah... negative, police speeder. We have an emergency. Please provide escort to the nearest hospital. Over."

"ComfortRide GLD-204, please state your emergency," the police droid said.

"Escaping the Empire?" Gorin said.

"Let me speak," Riyo said.

Before the senator could talk, Virra moved over to the comm. "Police speeder, security clearance: I-OI-5791. Code: alpha-red-0. Acknowledge."

The GU droid took a few moments to answer. "ComfortRide GLD-204, that's a 10-4. Continue on your way. We'll make sure your path is clear. Over and out." The police speeder flew away.

"Well, that was useful," Elynn said.

No other patrol came to challenge them again. The airspeeder made it to the landing platform in record time, where the Outcast waited.

"Is he going to be alright?" Riyo said.

"Don't worry, I'm a surgeon," Jarriss said. "We have a full medical facility onboard."

"Riyo, I'm sorry. We failed," said Syrran, as Ilum helped him off the vehicle.

"Don't be," Riyo said. "Tonight, you showed The Emperor people are not afraid to stand up to him."

"We have to go," said Theleema from the boarding ramp.

"You can come with us," Ilum said.

"I have a ship already waiting for me," Riyo said. "And I'll keep finding ways to fight the Empire from my home planet."

"Then I hope we can keep working together in the future," Jarriss said. "Thank you for your help."

"May the Force be with you," said Gorin.

"Where are you going?" Jarriss said to a limping Syrran, as he was making his way to the ship. "You need medical attention."

"That's not going to matter if we can't get out of here." Syrran got into the cockpit with Theleema's help. "Man the cannons."

Syrran and Theleema sat at the controls and readied the ship for departure, with Elynn in the multi-comm/sensors station, and Addia as the navigator/assistant gunner. Gorin took his place at the engineering station across from the engine room. Jarriss and Ilum climbed up and down the turret to occupy the dorsal and ventral quad cannons. Virra sat in the lounge.

"Jarriss, your targeting computer is off," said Theleema, noticing the oversight in her instruments.

"I don't want it to throw off my aim."

"Addia, as soon as we're clear, I want you to plot a path to Kijimi." Syrran took off.

"Can you do the navigation?" Theleema said.