CHAPTER NINE

The terrace at a cafe in Iziz, the capital of Onderon, buzzed with activity. Waiters moved round the small crowded tables hauling large trays with caf and tea. Some of the loud patrons smoked water pipes, while others conversed or played table games. Nobody paid attention to Lor San Tekka coming up the stairs. He searched the diners until he spotted a green-skinned Mirialan sitting by herself near one of the edges.

Anyone who looked at Addia Wex would assume she was too young to be as accomplished as she was, and too pretty to get her into the kind of trouble she usually found herself. Yet, the geometrical, facial tattoos—traditional to her people—showed off her notable achievements and her purple eyes were windows to a sharp wily intellect. She wore a utility vest and belt, high boots, data googles held back her purple-black hair, and gloves; the DG-29 heavy blaster on her hip holster spoke of action.

"Doctor Wex." The man approached the table.

"Oh please, Lor. You're the only one who calls me that," Addia said.

"Well, you sure earned it. And I'm sure the university would take you back, if you chose to return." Lor San Tekka squeezed his tall frame in a chair across from her.

"You know why I can't go back. Not after what happened." She sipped her steaming caf, keeping an eye on the stairs.

"Addia, you can't spend the rest of your life running away, hiding in ancient ruins in some Force-forsaken place."

"You're one to talk. I tried settling down once. It didn't work. Plus, I'd rather deal with real mummies than the ones in academia."

Lor laughed. "Well, the offer remains standing—Caf, dark, with nothing in it," he said to the Bivall waiter and then turned to Addia. "It's good to see you."

"Same here. Though, these meetings are never social. What do you have for me?"

"Imperial trouble."

"When is it not?" Addia groaned. "Smugglers and gangsters are easier to handle."

"Well, this one's big." He glanced around. "Recognize this?" Lor produced a palm-sized object from inside a heavy metallic box in his coat, and slid it towards her.

Addia removed the lip and found a faceted yellow crystal about thirty centimeters long by eleven centimeters thick; it had a large crack crossing its center. Faint pulses of green light came from within. Addia could feel a strong concentration of the Force emitting from it. But this wasn't a kyber crystal, or a gem at all, it was a sentient lifeform, trying to contact her mind.

"I feel the Force inside you," said a deep, male voice inside Addia's head.

She broke contact. "What the Void is this?"

"A member of a silicon-based sentient species called Shards." Lor lowered his voice. "They come from a planet called Orax in the Outer Rim. Apparently, some of them can become enlightened, like him."

"Apparently? How do you know?"

"He told me about it. He's quite chatty." Lor drank some caf, enjoying the Mirialan's bafflement. "It's good to know I can still surprise you."

"Where did you find this?"

"Him. And my name is Ilum, just like the planet. I am a Jedi Knight." Ilum penetrated their minds.

"Ilum, this is Doctor Addia Wex. A friend from my days at the University of Alderaan."

"Pleased to meet you, Doctor Wex," Ilum said.

"I found him at a black-market auction in Nar Shaddaa. I almost ended up paying with my life for it too. A Kage Inquisitor, a woman called the Fourth Sister—whatever that means—was trying to acquire him. I had to smuggle him out in this neuranium box to avoid detection."