CHAPTER NINETEEN

"Aside from the arm amputation, he suffered several facial lacerations, and multiple fractures from the fall," a 2-1B medical droid with a female voice said.

The Thirteenth Brother floated inside a bacta tank with a respirator. The wound in his torso had been stitched closed, and the lacerations on the left side of his face mechnostapled. The First Sister and Eleventh Brother looked at him through the vat's glass, listening to the diagnosis.

"He will be able to leave the tank in the morning," the droid concluded.

"Leave us," the First Sister said.

"Yes, sir."

The First Sister activated her computer wrist once the droid exited the room, prompting a hologram with some notes. "According to the purge troopers' description, they were in pursuit of a young Mirialan. There are two matches on our target list: Barriss Offee and Addia Wex. The former was a Padawan, the latter an archeologist." Rotating images of those she spoke of appeared to illustrate his point. "The human who was spotted at the café was identified as an explorer called Lor San Tekka. He too managed to escape."

"The Fourth Sister was in Nar Shaddaa, looking for a Jedi Star Compass San Tekka stole from an underground auction on direct orders from the Emperor." The Eleventh Brother, considered the facts.

"A top-secret priority task from the Special Weapons Group," the First Sister confirmed by checking the orders in the Inquisitor's database. "Making Addia Wex the most-likely suspect."

"The Fourth Sister is using her to find something."

"Then why leave her ship behind?"

"To avoid being tracked by us," the First Sister said. "She's after something important and the Grand Inquisitor knows it. That's why he took her out from our hunt."

"A power grab."

"What else? Our role in the Empire diminishes with the number of Jedi dwindling. Why do you think our ranks are no longer replaced? It looks like the Fourth Sister is looking to secure her place in the future of the Empire by proving she should carry the only title that matters among us, Grand Inquisitor."

"Too bad the Jedi didn't kill him. It would have been less competition for us."

The First Sister found the idea comical. "He's just a boy, useful when it comes to carnage, but useless when it comes to strategy. I think the Fourth Sister is trying to make a move on the Grand Inquisitor."

"How can she possibly take him on?"

"By offering the Emperor something he craves."

"So, where does that leave us?"

The First Sister studied the Thirteenth Brother for a moment. "I don't care much for the Grand Inquisitor myself, and I know the Seventh Sister also covets the leadership of our order. Getting rid of the Grand Inquisitor would make things easier in a power struggle within our ranks."

Until I find a way to get rid of you. The Kaleesh thought. "We should find the Fourth Sister and make sure we're all on the same page."

"My thoughts precisely."

###

Addia sat behind the controls of the Plunderer playing the sabriquet. According to the Jedi Star Compass, this was the last hyperspace jump of the trip. They travelled through the Outer Rim Territories to a planet called Lothal. Addia had never heard of anything regarding the Jedi from existing on this world, so she wanted to ensure she had not misread the coordinates. The sound of a Dorenian Beshniquel—commonly referred to as a fizzz—playing along to her tune made her stop. Going back to the living quarters, she found the Fourth Sister sitting on the masmot hide chair, playing the instrument.