CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

The team took a mag-lev tram uptown and got out at Juni Street Station near a group of casinos in Coronet Heights. It was one of the city's main entertainment districts where the Museum of Fine Arts and the Zoological and Botanical Gardens reside—a testament to the citizens' appreciation of nature, despite their proud manufacturing legacy. Lastdark Tower, the world's tallest building, stood among the most impressive structures found in the opulent quarter. It had the distinction of being the last place illuminated by the sun at the end of the day.

While the rest of the group went shopping, Syrran, Theleema, and Jarriss took a turbolift to the penthouse. A Belugan in a tuxedo at the front desk welcomed them to the club. He gave Theleema and Syrran a contemptuous look, as their appearance wouldn't be out of place in one of the cantinas found in the city's Blue Sky Boulevard. Jarriss gave him his name, and after checking the guest list, the host ushered them inside the exclusive Lastdark Club.

Window walls allowed for breathtaking sights of uptown with its impressive skyscrapers, galaxy-renowned museums, and an enviable view of the celebrated Axial Park—the quintessence of Corellia's appreciation for nature. The guests sat on nerf-hide chairs, enjoying polite conversation while sipping exclusive spirits, eating exotic appetizers, and smoking rare aromatic blends served by BD-3000 luxury droids. The private lounges on the ground lay on top of artificial islands, connected by arched bridges, and veiled by waterfalls. The upper ones rested on hovering platform which were reached by floating steps and walled by hanging gardens. A soft jatz quartet with a sultry Zygerrian singer, played atop transparent pillars that changed colors with the mood of the song.

An obese Rutian Twi'lek with four lekku, wearing silk-tailored Coruscani robes sat on one of the high lounges while in the company of two beautiful female members of his species; one Lethan and the other orange. A couple of male Darian bodyguards—those with brown skin—stood behind him, fixing the trio with a stare while their hands moved an inch closer to their weapons.

"Doctor Jarriss Marrow, what a pleasure to see you," said the fat Twi'lek, showing his crooked teeth. He put his Corellian brandy down and got up to greet the Miraluka. The bodyguards relaxed.

"The pleasure is mine, Senator Taa." Jarriss shook his large hand. "These are my associates, Theleema Nosche and Syrran Qer. They have been helping me to alleviate the situation in Kashyyyk. This is my good friend, Senator Orn Free Taa of Ryloth."

"Why, my good doctor? You didn't tell me you had friends in the Pantoran nobility."

"A minor house," Syrran said.

"There's nothing minor about being a patrician, my friend. Are you related to Chos in any way?"

"Distant relation, I'm afraid."

"Which is preferable than none. Another veteran like the doctor, I presume?" Taa showed solemn sympathy for the Pantoran's cybernetics.

"They're both former comrades from my days with the Sons and Daughters of Freedom," Jarriss said.

"We are all grateful for your great sacrifice and service. Please, make yourselves comfortable. So, what are you drinking?"

"Quanya," Theleema said to the waitress.

"Corellian brandy is fine with me," Syrran said.

"I'll take a T'iil-T'ill," Jarriss said.

"How are the clawclams tonight?" Taa said.

"Freshest in the planet, senator," the droid said.

"Bring some, please—and some nyorks, if they're fresh too."

"Of course, senator."

"Ah, perfect timing." Taa waved at the window. "This place can only be truly appreciated at dawn. The club calls it the Changing of Lights." As the sun set on Coronet City, the fish in the ponds and the hanging flowers began to glow. "Beautiful, isn't it?"