4. Unfulfilled

FOUR

Sometimes I miss waking up every day just to see you at school

The loud commotion in the ministry made his head pounding. The never-ending "do this, Harry" "do that, Harry" causes an unpleasant swirl in his stomach.

The whole reason he took the job offer was that he wanted to escape school, the very place that gives him comfort but after all that happened, it gave him constant vexation.

But working here, in the ministry, also angers him. This is the very place that has made most of his youth life hell as well.

All he wanted to do was enjoy the quiet scenery. Perhaps with a bit of jazz music and a soothing scent of coffee.

Coffee. . . Cafe.

Kara's place.

Jumbling down everything in his bag, he abruptly stood up and made an impulsive decision to leave his work.

He should be grateful and he is grateful that he got the opportunity to be an Auror. He is one of the best Aurors here, but no matter how much he convinces himself he's satisfied with his life, he isn't.

The bigger his steps were, the faster his heartbeat was. He stretches his palms, hoping it'll ease the nervousness before opening up the door.

It never crossed his mind to visit the place, even after Hermione said the possibility of it being Kara's place. First, he tries to avoid going to wizarding public places as much as possible, not wanting to attract attention. Second, he is immensely afraid that Hermione might be right that he'd rather not know.

But now, he's ready.

Meeting her, seeing her, talking to her, triggers the fluttery feeling he had for her all those years ago and now that he knows she's here, he couldn't help but wonder about her all the time.

What is Kara possibly doing right now? Where does she live? Is she okay? What happened to her all those years ago? Was she kidnapped? Does she have a boyfriend? Is she married? Does she have a kid too?

It has been three months since his last encounter with Kara and he wants to see her again.

It's now or never.

Once he entered the place, he was hit with the consoling scent of coffee right away, calming him down just by a bit.

He hoped for Kara to be the cashier girl but she wasn't. It was some random brunette who's as tall as he is.

"What can I get you?" asked the young lady, looking at him normally, just like how she treated the customer before him.

This calms him down even more.

"Which one's the best selling one?"

"Caramel macchiato and cinnamon roll," answered the cashier. He saw the tiny name tag on her shirt, Josie, her name's Josie.

"I'll have that — hot please," said Harry. "Hey, er- is Kara Brie around?"

"She's teaching," replied Josie, looking up from her cashier machine. "That'll be one galleon and four sickles."

Harry went to his pocket and handed her the coins. "Teaching?"

"Yes. Behind those bookshelves, there's a room where we teach children how to write and read."

He felt his heart flutter from his chest down to his stomach, creating a butterfly sensation as his heart started to beat rapidly again.

"Oh, wow, okay, great, great, great," he stammered. "Can I go there?"