Nenetl

Nenetl couldn't believe she was in Hungary; it almost felt like a dream. She was half Mayan and half white. Her mother was from a tribe in Yucatan, and her father was German who went to Yucatan to teach English and German. That's how her parents met.

Both fell in love with one another, and they lived together for a couple of months. However, her father's working visa would expire, and he never intended to stay in Mexico; he wanted his lover to go with him. However, she didn't want to leave; her father left, but he gave her his contact information just in case. After he left, her mother discovered she was pregnant with Nenetl.

Her mother raised her daughter, along with the tribe, but Nenetl was treated a bit differently from the tribe, some with admiration and some with distaste, especially the women. She grew up poor; her mother and tribe depended on tourists for income. When Nenetl turned fifteen, she received many proposals from the tribe's men but wasn't interested in any of them. The young woman had ambitions, and she wanted to be independent. However, there was a time when one suitor couldn't handle the rejection and tried to force himself upon her.

Nenetl fought back, and she told my mother. She knew her daughter would be in danger, so she called her former lover. As expected, Nenetl's father was shocked and angry that he wasn't informed about his daughter's existence. 

The young woman hid in a hotel far from the village with the money she and her mother saved until her father picked her up. Nenetl's father was happy to meet his only child. He took her to his homeland in Trier, Germany; he was recently divorced. He and his ex-wife had no children. Nenetl was happy in Germany and learned the language, but she also knew Spanish and her tribe's language.

She kept in contact with her mother, but her mother wanted Nenetl to return since the man who tried to attack her left. Nenetl felt that she had more opportunities in Germany to work and send money to her. Her mother felt betrayed and gave Nenetl the ultimatum to return or never speak to her again. She chose the latter, and her mother never talked to me again. The young woman tried contacting her, but her mother refused to speak to her.

Her father was very supportive and told his daughter could stay with him as long as she wanted. Nenetl went to school and went to University with her father's help. She studied special education since she loved working with children and gained experience within the field. When she turned twenty-five, Nenetl decided to go to Yucatan to visit her mother; her father went with her. When they went to the tribe, they were informed that Nenetl's mother had married another man from a tribe; no one had heard from her since.

Nenetl stayed in Germany until she got an offer to work in a school created for orphaned special needs children. She couldn't let that opportunity go. Her father was sad but also proud of his daughter's success, motivating her to go. Nenetl promised him that I would call him and visit him. Now, she stood in front of the house she and her father purchased close to her workplace; she looked forward to her new adventure.