Questions

Nenetl was walking back home and was happy to get some rest. She was going to think of some lesson plans for the kids. Maybe give some copies to the other teachers. Nenetl unlocked the door, and her home was dark. However, she felt that something was amiss. Nenetl turned on the light, and to her shock and horror, she saw someone sitting in the living room.

She screamed.

"Try to calm down; you might shock the neighbors.

Nenetl felt her heart beating rapidly from the surprise and shock. She was trying to regain her breathing. "M-Mr. Nadasy!? What are you doing in my home!? You scared me to death."

Ferenc sat on the sofa calmly; his eyes were unwavering. "I came by to visit. I have been having many meetings lately, and it was nice to have a break."

The young woman put her bags on the table but kept her distance. "So you decide to break into my home. You call this a break? With all due respect, this is concerning behavior."

Ferenc raised an eyebrow for a moment. He didn't blink his eyes; he stared at the young woman. He knew that she was being cautious as she should. "Your door was unlocked. I didn't want to sit outside because of the cold. Besides, you have nothing to worry about. You have neighbors around here."

It was silent between the two. "So, why are you here?"

"I would like to talk and perhaps invite you for dinner on Friday night. I know a special place that you have never seen before."

Nenetl was stunned. Ferenc wanted to take her out to dinner. "Mr. Nadasy, this is not appropriate. I also don't want my coworkers to get the wrong idea."

"It is professional, of course. It is nothing romantic."

The young woman still wasn't convinced. "I'm sorry, but I will have to say no."

Ferenc blinked. He sat still. She still said no. Nenetl refused him. "What if your job was on the line? You still would refuse?"

Nenetl walked behind the sink where knives were in a cabinet in case something happened. "Are you threatening me, Mr. Nadasy?"

The young man let out a slight smirk. "If you feel that way. I'm just asking a question."

"You wouldn't ask just any question unless it had a purpose. I'm not if you think I'm afraid of losing my job. There are many opportunities out there. I took this job not just for an opportunity but also to gain experience. I would still refuse if this dinner were just for a professional purpose. How is it fair that I would be the only one invited rather than the others? The other teachers have been working with the children longer than I have. They should have more of an audience than me."

Ferenc crossed his arms; his eyes didn't blink. His stare never wavered from her. He had to admit that he was impressed. It was difficult for him to be impressed by anyone. Nenetl didn't fully trust him, which annoyed him, but she also had self-respect and morals. She wasn't afraid to lose and walk away from everything. If Nenetl did decide to go with him, she would probably be his next victim.

However, she refused him. Ferenc knew he was good-looking and had everything a woman wanted to be a part of. He knew that Nenetl knew this. The female workers in the orphanage spoke about him and wanted him to choose them, even in secret. He could lure and kill them, but it would create more suspicion. He tried to feel Nenetl's blood, but his urge suddenly stopped when she refused him.

It was strange to him. "Why don't I have the urge to kill her anymore?" Ferenc had to know why. Out of all the women in the world, why was Nenetl different? He stood and blinked. "You passed my test."

This confused Nenetl. "Test? What test?"

"I have heard unsettling rumors about you. Word spread that you were trying everything in your power to seduce me, to get me to notice you."

"Rumors? I never heard about this."

Ferenc walked closer but stopped to keep his distance from Nenetl. He knew about the knives inside the cabinet she was close to. Nenetl was not afraid to fight back. "I am sorry, but your coworkers have been spreading these rumors. I know it is hard to believe, but they may act nice in front of you, but they let out their true nature behind closed doors. I don't mean this rudely, but women can be vicious creatures. They hold more jealousy and disdain toward their own sex. I wanted to end these rumors once and for all."

It was a little lie. However, Ferenc has heard the women gossiping about Nenetl. She helped them make their jobs more accessible, but they were jealous. Nenetl was a natural beauty and held more intelligence than they did. He also knew that word spread about him and Nenetl meeting outside of work. He knew Nenetl had morals and respect, but that didn't mean it would get her liked.

"Be it as it may. I'm not here to make friends. I am here to work and provide for myself."

"Good, as it should be. I know the way I came here is a bit bizarre. However, we do things differently in Hungary. My apologies. I will take my leave." Ferenc walked toward the exit and walked out of the house. Ferenc parked his car afar, ensuring it was not seen by Nenetl or others who might recognize him. Nenetl yet again saved her own life. She passed his final test.

It made him see that Nenetl was different from the other women he used to. He was assured that Nenetl wasn't entirely interested in him; it intrigued him. Now the next step was to learn more about her. Learn more about her personality, goals, family, and more. Maybe just maybe, it could lead to something more.

He stopped midway. "Why am I thinking these things? Why is this woman making me question myself? What are these emotions? Why can't I just kill her and be done with it? Do I really want to kill her?" Ferenc massaged his forehead. He had many questions and no answers. Yet, perhaps being around Nenetl, he would find out. At the moment, he had to try to earn her trust. He found a way and would put his plans into motion.