Wonder

Nenetl was finally home but couldn't answer her father immediately due to a connection issue. She called her father back, and he answered. "Nenetl, I was worried about you since you didn't answer. Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, dad. I was taking a stroll and looking out at the area."

"Oh, that's good, and are you liking your job and new home?"

"Yeah, the people are nice. I might even have a new friend, an elderly bookstore owner. You know how much I like to read."

"That's true, and I would tell you to go out more often. However, I'm proud of you, Nenetl. You came out to be an intelligent young woman. By then, you might be able to visit?"

Nenetl smiled. "Well, I might be able to visit for Christmas. I asked for Christmas week off to be with you months in advance."

"Well, that will be great. I know you love going to the Christmas markets here. Well, I won't take up more of your time."

Nenetl shook her head. "Dad, you never waste my time. Besides, you called me at the right time. My boss was the one giving me a tour."

It was silent for a while. "Your boss was giving you a tour? Why would your boss do that? It doesn't sound professional."

The young woman mentally sighed. Her father was always protective since he discovered her existence and what was about to happen to her. Nenetl thought telling her father that Ferenc had given her a tour was a bad idea. "I thought the same, but my boss insisted. He just showed me around. He probably was being nice, that's all."

"Nice or not, I want you to be careful, Nenetl."

"I know, Dad. I am always cautious; if it makes you feel better, my new bookstore friend gave me something to protect myself. He reminds me of you."

"Okay then, I will call you by next week. If something happens, you know that you can always call me."

Nenetl smiled. "I know, Dad. I love you." The two stopped the call. Nenetl couldn't deny that she had a lovely time and was informed about the town and other cities. However, she would have preferred to travel alone. That was when she thought about Ferenc. Nenetl can't deny that he's good-looking, but something about him made him mysterious. There was also something off that made her feel uncomfortable around him. However, she didn't want to come out to be rude. The good thing for her was that she still had tomorrow off to have time for herself.

She hoped.

Meanwhile, Ferenc arrived home and slammed the door behind him. He punched the wall in the living room hard enough to make a small crack. He was angry. Angry that the phone call from Nenetl's father saved her life.

He had plans to take her to those mountains and bury her in the Earth. However, she escaped, even though she didn't realize what he was planning. Ferenc could kill any woman he wanted and could if given the opportunity. However, Nenetl escaped him not once but twice. He wanted to rip something to shreds.

Ferenc sat on the couch and contemplated what had happened that day. He intended to gain her trust and do what he wanted. History was Ferenc's favorite subject. People can learn from and make it, even ending their history. It was something comical to him. Nenetl listened intently and even asked him questions. Nenetl seemed to have an appreciation for history and cultures.

Ferenc stilled for a moment. His rage was dissipating, and he thought about the young woman. He felt she was cautious around him and didn't want to get too close. It made him wonder if she knew something was off about him. There was a possibility. However, he knows Nenetl didn't know who he was and what he had done. She better hope that she never does. It also made him wonder why she was able to escape him.

Also, Nenetl wasn't interested in him, even though he had looks, a high societal position, and money. She still wasn't interested. It made him annoyed and also impressed. She was probably the first woman who wasn't interested in him, more or less getting too close to him. It made him wonder if she was...different.

Was she a sign?

Was she going to be his match?

He doubted it, but there was something at the back of his mind that was telling him that there was the possibility that there was more to Nenetl than met the eye. Ferenc let out an annoyed sigh. Ferenc will try again to see if her blood will be spilled in his hands or if, by some miracle, she escapes his grasp.

If she escapes well, he must discover what makes her so special.