Advice

Nenetl woke up early in the morning; it was only 4:00 am. She knew that she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. "Maybe I should go take a walk." Nenetly got herself dressed and walked out of her home. The sun wasn't fully set in yet, but there was fog giving the environment a hauntingly beautiful scene. Nenetly began to take a walk around the area with her jacket on. It was quiet, and some people we already awake while others were still asleep. Still, it was quiet, and Nenetl felt at peace. She walked two laps around the area and was going to go on her third lap until she saw someone familiar. "Mr. Levente, good morning."

Levente was sweeping dust out of his shop and stopped when he saw Nenetl. "Ah, good morning. I'm surprised that you're up early. You should still be resting to prepare for your job."

"Yeah, but I woke up and can't go back to sleep. However, taking a walk and clearing one's mind and body is nice. "You're also awake early. Do you usually clean your shop?"

"I do. It gets me something to do. I made some cookies yesterday. Would you like to join me for an early morning coffee?"

"If it's okay with you, I would like some tea. Coffee makes me moody for some reason."

Levente let out a chuckle. "Probably you can't handle the caffeine. Please come inside." The two walked into the shop, and candles dimly lit the interior. 

"Wow, your bookshops feel medieval."

"It does. Candles can give a tranquil state of mind. Please, sit while I come with the tea and cookies." Nenetl sat on one of the chairs close to the bookshelves. She looked around and loved the feeling of peace in the bookstore. Levente was right, and the candles made everything feel tranquil. He arrived with a tray of two cups, a small glass of sugar and milk, and a plate of homemade cookies. Levente had a cup of coffee while he gave her the cup of tea. "I hope you don't mind Chai."

"Not at all. Thank you. The cookies look delicious." Nenetl got a cookie took a bite, and took small sips of tea.

"So, how is working coming along?"

"It's going good; I have good and bad days. I can express creative ideas to help the children and teachers."

Levente noticed the thoughtful look on her face. "Something else is bothering you, young lady. What is it? I know I shouldn't pry, but I learned that expressing one's troubles can help relieve them."

The young woman felt hesitant about speaking about what she was thinking and feeling, but Levente would have experience and knowledge on what to do in certain situations. "Well, Ferenc came to visit my home uninvited. I guess you can say he broke in. I doubt my doors or windows were unlocked."

The older man sat still as he almost put the cup of coffee close to his lips. He slowly put it down, and his expression became serious. "Did...Did he do something or say something uncomfortable?"

"Well, not necessarily. He wanted me to go out with him, but I refused. He told me that it was some test. Supposedly, my coworkers were spreading rumors about me."

"I see. This seems to bother you. Do you believe him?"

Nenetl looked down at her tea. "I-I don't know what to believe. At work, I am there to do a job, but at the same time, I do my best to help the other teachers make their jobs easier. He did mention that females tend to backstab their own sex. I hardly had female friends, but I heard many stories that having female friends isn't always beneficial. I was hoping it was wrong."

"Look, you are correct that you are there to work. You need to stop trying to please people. However, it would be best to let your coworkers work for themselves. Teach them what they must do and tell them they must do their jobs. You can't have all the responsibilities for yourself. They may not like it, but they choose to have those jobs and must handle the responsibilities. If they bug you, then report them or find another job. Life shouldn't be made this difficult."

Nenetl was silent as she took a bite of her cookie. "You're right. Sometimes it's hard to put oneself away from the problems of others."

Levente smiled. "Yes, it is great to be a good person, not a nice person. When you are nice, people will take advantage of you. When you are a good person, you keep your morals and values but know your limitations and when people are using you. Clear your position, and they will know who you truly are."

"Thank you for the advice. It was beneficial."

"It is no trouble at all. Please make sure not to get too close to Ferenc."

"I know. It was never my intention, to begin with. It seems that he is trying to get close to me. This is why people at work are getting the wrong idea."

Levente sighed. "Look, it is understandable if you feel uncomfortable around him, but you shouldn't have to deal with it. If it comes to the point where it becomes out of control, then find another job. I can help you in your search."

Nenetl stood up. "Thank you, Levente. I also appreciate the tea and cookies; they were delicious. I need to head out and be prepared for work."

"It is no trouble. Take some for a snack. Hope to see you soon. I will get some new books by the end of the week."

"Great, I will come by and check them out." Nenetl took two more cookies and walked out of the bookstore. He watched as the young woman walked away. He couldn't stop thinking about what she told him about Ferenc. He knew that things were only going to get worse. He stood up and went behind a counter when he saw the newspaper about the body they had found. No one was a suspect yet, but he couldn't shake off the feeling that the killer was closer than anyone thought. He met Ferenc several times but had a bad feeling about him.

He felt that Nenetl was in danger and it was best to call his good friend. He got his cell phone, dialed a number, and heard the phone ringing on the other end. Then, someone answered. 

"Hello?"

"Hello, Elek."