Levente

The weekday has gone by quickly, in Nenetl's view. It was a bit difficult since the kids acted up occasionally. However, she and the teachers worked together. She also felt it was tiring to always be in the lead. Many of the teachers didn't have the qualifications or much training. The good news is that everyone will get training by next week; it was a relief. Also, Nenetl was thankful that she didn't see Ferenc. She heard that he was in a business meeting all week. She felt that she could breathe easily and have more peace of mind. Nenetl didn't know why, but she was always cautious around him. He was handsome and had status, but something in her gut told her that he was not good news.

Yet, she didn't have to worry about him throughout the week. It was Friday, and her shift ended. Nenetl could always go home and relax, but it had been a while since she went to the bookstore. The young woman walked to the bookstore, and once inside, she didn't see Levente. Even when the doorbell rang, there was no response. The bookstore was dimly lit with some candles and old-fashioned light bulbs; it gave her a medieval gothic vibe. "Mr. Levente, are you here?"

No response. 

Nenetl wondered if he went out; she didn't feel comfortable being in his bookstore if he wasn't present. She went to his desk to see if he was underneath, but when she looked over, he wasn't there. However, something caught her eye; it was a newspaper. In the newspaper, Nenetl read that a woman's body was found in an area not too far from this village. She raised an eyebrow. "Wow, I didn't hear about this."

Without her knowing that, someone behind her slowly walked toward her. A hand was extended and touched her shoulder. Nenetl squealed and turned. "M-Mr. Levente, you scared me!"

The older man laughed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I saw the opportunity, and I had to take it."

The young woman was slowly catching her breath. "Geez. I was looking for you. I didn't know if you went out. I was going to leave since I thought you weren't here."

"Oh, I was in the basement cleaning. Sorry I didn't hear you; my ears are slowly fading. It has been a while. How is work?"

"It's only been a week, but overall, work is good. Difficult but doable. I came here to read, maybe buy a new book to pass the time. Did you get anything new?"

Levente shook his head. "I will get new books by next month. However, I still have the old stuff. Sometimes, old minds and knowledge can be the good kind. So, how was your time with Mr. Nadasy?"

Nenetl went to a bookshelf while looking at the books available. "It was good. He was knowledgeable in history and made the tour fun."

Levente went behind his desk. He knew that she had noticed the newspaper. "That's good to hear. Was he pleasant to be around?"

The young woman shrugged. "He was okay."

The older man looked down at the newspaper and then at Nenetl. "Have you been hearing the news about bodies being found?"

"No, I don't watch too much television. I saw the newspaper; authorities found a dead woman's body. So what you are saying is that more have been found?"

"Yes, authorities don't want to say it, but everyone is saying there is a possibility of a serial killer."

Nenetl stopped and slowly turned. "A serial killer?" 

"Indeed, many people are getting frightened, and the authorities are trying to keep hush about it. However, I believe that it will make it worse. I believe the public need to be informed about a serial killer on the loose." Levente looked down at the newspaper. "The woman was found in a place far from here."

"I see. That's a scary thought that one may be close to a serial killer."

"It is. The victims are usually women. Be careful who you hang around with, and do not go out too much at night. That's one of the reasons why I gave you the gun. You still have it, right?"

She nodded. "I was surprised that you gave it to me. Honestly, I don't feel comfortable having it. I don't like using guns."

Levente sighed. "I know, child. However, Hungary is still not an entirely safe country. Even though we live in a small town, it doesn't mean everyone here is a saint. Everyone has secrets. Also, be careful with Mr. Nadasy. He can be something else."

Nenetl got a book and sat on a chair. "I will. Besides, I'm not interested in him."

Levente went to the back of his bookstore to clean and fix some books. "Good because that man has intent in his eyes." He held a book about Elizabeth Bathory and put it on another shelf.