Little Steps

Nenetl finally made it to work, and for the first time, she felt awkward. She couldn't forget what Ferenc had told her when he broke into her house. If what Ferenc said was true, how could she look at her coworkers the same? She helped them find new tactics to help deal with the children, and they would speak behind her back. 

Yet, Nenetl wondered if Ferenc was lying. He broke into her house without her consent which was very creepy behavior. In her mind, Ferenc felt he had every right to do what he wanted; his actions and words are proof of that. That's one of the reasons why she didn't like or trust him. There was more to him that he didn't want people to see. Nenetl looked at her phone and arrived twenty minutes early. She thought it would be best to plan some lessons in the lounge. As she walked to the lounge, she heard talking. Nenetl stopped for a moment and noticed that one voice belonged to Agnes. She was speaking to other workers who were her coworkers.

She understood Hungarian since she studied it to work. "Are you all noticing Mr. Nadasy is paying attention to the half-breed? Why would he do that? She is not as pretty as I am."

"Like you have a chance with Mr. Nadasy. You're a single mother. Why would he want a woman with baggage when he can have any woman he wanted."

The two women argued. "Oh, shut it, you two. That bitch is getting his attention too much. I'm afraid she will eventually get a supervisor job," said Agnes.

Nenetl kept listening to their conversation. Ferenc was right; her coworkers were spreading rumors about her. She helped them when they didn't have the proper training and made their jobs easier. "You thought I was lying to you?"

The young woman flinched, and Ferenc walked behind her with a suitcase. Nenetl slowly looked at him. "Not entirely. As I said before, I'm not here to make friends."

"A thought everyone should have, but I can see it in your eyes; it bothers you. It bothers you that the coworkers you tirelessly helped make their lives easier go behind your back. Yet, you still try to act to be the better person."

"I am here to do my job."

"Indeed, but you have to worry about yourself. You are just expected to work together with your coworkers to help the children, but it never said that you had to train and make their jobs easier. I noticed you do more work during your time here than the others."

Nenetl said nothing. She hated to admit it, but he did have a point. Nenetl also hated that Ferenc was right all along. The young woman was always helpful but sometimes forgot that people would use others for their benefit. "You're right, but I think more about the kids than anything else. Part of my job description is to help the kids progress and help them with coping their environment. If I didn't help my coworkers, then it would make my job even harder; I wouldn't be doing my job."

Ferenc slightly raised an eyebrow. It annoyed him that Nenetl wouldn't fully accept defeat; she was stubborn. It annoyed him, but he couldn't deny that her fiery temper intrigued him. He knew she didn't fully trust him and wanted to learn more about her. He did promise himself that he would try to gain her trust. This was the best opportunity. "If you shall excuse me." He walked toward the lounge.

Once inside, the teachers and other workers talked to one another. When they saw their boss, they were stunned. "Oh, uh, Mr. Nadasy! Good morning, sir. We didn't think you would arrive today since you have a busy schedule," said Agnes.

Ferenc looked at everyone, and his stare made sure to let everyone know he wasn't pleased. "I'm sure you did. As I walked toward my office, I couldn't believe what I heard coming from your entitled little mouths. One of you is discriminating against one of the employees, Miss. Kuhn. Calling her a half-breed. Who was it?" 

Everyone froze. Ferenc had an emotionless look, but his voice held a smooth venom. Many employees pointed to a young woman in her early twenties with long black hair that looked smooth and straightened. She wore makeup that made her face look tan. Her eyes were black. Her lips were slightly big, making Ferenc believe she had work done. She had a thin figure with a big bottom. "Plastic, that is all that she is. Pathetic woman!" He glared at her. "So, you were the one making racist remarks."

"M-Mr. Nadasy, I-I was making a joke."

"A joke? You know that I don't accept racist remarks in my organizations since we hire people worldwide. The work ethics of my employees represent not only the organization but also me. You dare make a mockery of me. You entitled spoiled brat?" The young woman trembled. "You're fired, and I will ensure that I will input the reason is racism. Now leave my presence."

The young woman began to cry and ran out. As she ran out, Nenetl hid in another room next to the lounge; she didn't want to be seen. However,  she could hear everything about what was happening next door. 

"Now, Ms. Agnes. Your behavior deplores me. You're an older woman who should know better than to be jealous of a young employee. You even went as far as to call Miss. Kuhn a bitch."

Agnes felt her face become pale. "N-No, M-Mr. Nadasy. I was speaking about someone else that is outside of the workforce."

"Oh, so you think I'm stupid? I heard everything that was being said in this room. I knew full well who you were talking about. Also, rumors have been spreading about me and Miss. Kuhn. You all wouldn't know who has been spreading these rumors?" No one said a word. "How pathetic you all have gone. You all can't stand seeing others succeeding because you refuse to work on yourselves. What kind of people have I hired? However, you all will have a strike and a last warning. If I hear another rumor or any discriminatory word from any of you, I will not hesitate to fire you all and make sure that I will put my reasoning why. Who would want to hire someone who pissed me off? Am I understood?"

"Y-Yes, sir."

"As for you, Agnes. As a supervisor and an elder, I am disappointed with your actions. I will not fire you, but you will be assigned to assistant supervisor. I will hire another to take your place. If you disagree, you are free to leave."

Agnes was shocked and wanted to argue, but she was paid good money that no other place would pay. She also had bills to pay. Not only that, she had a gambling addiction. The older woman couldn't afford to lose her job. "I-I understand, Mr. Nadasy."

"Good. Remember, you all have been warned, and I have many people on the waiting list for these positions. Good day to you all." Ference walked out of the lounge, and Nenetl wasn't there, but at the corner of his eye, he saw her hiding in another room next to the lounge. They glanced at one another. Ferenc gave her a quick wink and went on his way.

Nenetl was stunned at his sudden actions. She didn't know what to think.