D I C I O T T O

Cain Romero POV

I could hear everything. Raina Chase crying, Nicolas imparting his last words before Chris took her away and killed him. But most importantly I heard Chris' words in my head.

"Give up on Raina, she's not worth it boy. She has been and always will be a gullible idiot." "Why are you doing this?" "Samsara." He grinned before walking away.

Raina thinks it's about her but I know better. Chris is crazy but not crazy enough to reveal himself because of her - the sad truth is that if he wanted her gone she would be. I sigh, my head hitting the thin wall between cells, the same wall that connects me to Raina's cell. It's been about a month since Nick died and Raina's heartbroken. Chris probably killed him in front of her.

Raina's wail echoes all around and I prop myself up against the wall. "Raina?" I whisper in my drugged up haze, shutting my eyes to keep the dizziness at bay. "I'm going to get us out of here."  I clench my jaw before eventually falling into unconsciousness. Right before my eyes close I think I hear Raina's voice call my name.

"Hey!" A voice barks, rattling the bars that keep me in here. My eyes open groggily. And I try to look up but my head is so heavy. I groan heavily, sitting up and the person - definitely a guy by the sound of his voice - chuckles. "Chris wants you to eat, no one dies easily around here." He says, "Unlike your pretty girlfriend next door - now that's a tough cookie."
Raina?

"What-" I struggle to breathe. "What's happening-" The words are stubborn - refusing to leave my lips, the lower lip probably infected already. "...to Raina?" I rasp with laboured breaths - the blood caked on my brow impairing my vision from seeing the man fully.

"The girl refuses to eat nowadays, rabid lil' thang ain't she." The man cackles, sliding a tray of food through the bars. "Eat boy." I knew it was drugged. "Woah, slow down." I knew but still I slurped down the bowl of drugged porridge. "Chris'll be back in a second to keep you company." Chris, was the only regular visitor - he reveled in my torture.

The man guffaws, grabbing my empty tray. Stupidly he lets a pin, a sheer stroke of luck, fall onto the floor. As I grab it, he kicks me through the same hole he took the food, my already injured arm protests as it holds up my weight, protecting me from his furious kicks. "Don't get any ideas Romero." The man says, and for a split second I think he knows about the pin. But he walks away, locking the grate that he slides the food through.

I want to escape but before I can - the drugs kick in - brief peace and everything is utterly quiet. Nothing hurts. I smile loopy from the drugs, wait. What's going on? Oh right, the pin. My leg goes completely numb. A devastating sob reverberates. Who was that? I stick the pin in the lock and wiggle it - this always works in movies. My head whips up, Raina. These drugs are weaker than before, I really must thank that man.

The lock pops open. Chris won't be near the cells right now, the man just drugged me now. I swing the door open, placing one foot in front of the other numb one. Finally, I can walk around. Wait. Focus. Raina.

I forgot something, it niggles in the back of my head. I tense my leg's muscle - trying to regain some feeling. Raina... Where was she? Oh right, next door. I'm so thirsty. I need water. On my way to the room next door, I knock into lots of things. I want to laugh but my ribs hurt. "Raina!" I gasp, falling into the room. "Cain?" A confused yet familiar girl questions, looking at me with worry. Raina.

I smile, falling against the bars of her cell - so similar to mine. "Cain!" Raina cries and I look away from her chocolate brown eyes. It was an empty bedroom - with bright yellow nursery wallpaper and an ugly cage in the furthest corner. It doesn't even have enough space to stand. I had to crawl to get to food sometimes. It had a ratty looking blanket at the end and a bucket for defecation right next to it. "This is for you." I huff a pained laugh, holding up the pin I used to pick the lock with. She unlocks the door easily and bends next to me. "What happened to you?" She asks, cupping my swollen cheek.

I try to blink away the wetness in my eyes. What was happening to me? I know I look like shit. Bruised and bloody, most of my face swollen and my ribs broken. My clothes torn and ripped. Back when I was mostly lucid - I wrapped myself up. Makeshift sling and everything - unfortunately it didn't last long. But no matter how hard I try - I can't say anything. Tears roll down my face and she looks at me... lost and sad. "Shh, I'll-" She sniffs, "I'll do the rest, Cain. I'll do the rest. It's okay, it's okay..." She repeats wiping the tears from my face while she rocks herself. "I'll get us out now, Cain." She says - determination shining through her teary eyes.

I lift my hand, fighting to keep my eyes open. I cup her small face in my hand. I love you.