V E N T I S E I

Rafael Santiago POV

"What's wrong Rafe?" An overly emotional Raina cries against my top and I feel embarrassed for her. Sakura, Cameron and Astrid gape at her in shock; leaving Cain smothering his laughter and Mason watching - completely captivated by the tears running down Rain's face. "I missed you, why didn't you at least say hello when we saw each other? Huh?"

"Stop it." I hiss, eyes darting around the room and Cain relaxes against the fridge door with his arms crossed in amusement. But we have been friends long enough for me to know he's not happy. "Get it together Raina." I whisper shout and she sniffs, fanning her face as she lets go of my top, "Be nice to me asshole, I'm..." She cries pathetically and suddenly Cain pulls her away in one move while she restarts her crying behind his back. I narrow my eyes at him and he shrugs. "She's not in her right mind." Cain says by way of explanation, still laughing slightly. We are definitely going to have words, it looks like he knows exactly what she was about to say before he yanked her behind him.

"So this is a nice impromptu visit." Mason says, his tiny teenage voice breaking and Raina aww's and Cain laughs again. Its like she's drugged and he's just loving her reactions. Or well it appears that way but I notice the small details. Like Raina looking as if she just rolled out of bed and her slightly red eyes. Mason being unusually silent around Raina. The tight skin around Cain's eyes. They were pretenders the whole lot of them.

Something happened and I'm going to find out what.

"Sakura!" I bark, my eyes never once leaving Cain's. "Take the these two home." "Rafael what are you doing?!" Cam says first, before anyone else can open their mouths. "Yes sir." Sakura says formally, catching the car keys from midair. Cam and Astrid silently follow her glaring back at me like two petulant children. The only reason they were moving was because they were scared of Sakura - but at least they were leaving.

I watch the door close behind Astrid with her signature eyeroll, I sigh heavily - running a hand down my face exhausted already of the Romero brothers and their complicated dancing around subjects. And what's worse is that the most upfront and confrontational girl I've ever known is now doing it too. "Cut the shit Chase." I say blankly and she looks up at me with the most genuine smile I've seen from her since her kidnapping. "Santiago." She grins sassily, ignoring her boyfriend's caution and Mason facepalms.

"Raina..." Cain warns, tugging her arm and she narrows her eyes. "Have you heard about Rome? Wait. That was stupid of me you already asked." Raina asks, before closing her eyes in what seems like frustration as she lets out a growl low in her throat. She mumbles under her breath before stomping toward Mase and yanking the fridge door open. "Relax Rain." Cain murmurs and she shoots him a hateful glare, so unlike her behavior when the others were here. "So fucking easy for you to say."

I take a step back from the growing animosity amongst the pair. "What's going on?" My eyes grow wider and I take a few more cautious steps back. 

"Well..." Cain begins and Raina holds a carton of milk against her lips, "Just spit it out Romero." 

He groans and Mase watches his brother like a hawk. I almost forget that Mason was here too. "Yeah," Cain rubs the back of his neck almost hesitant to say anything and I notice the brothers were still wearing their PJs. "Cain!" Mase growls after the silence stretches for a while. "Shut up, I'm trying to think."

"Think about what? It's already done." Raina snorts, gulping down what remained of the milk. "As much as I hate to admit it, Rafe is my closest friend." Cain barks at his girlfriend and all she does is roll her eyes. 

"Damnit Cain, stop twiddling about like a preteen asking his crush to dance."

"Wow, that was some good imagery Rain." Mase comments and she grins as if Cain isn't murdering her with the look he shoots her. "Thanks, worked at a school for the last few months."

"Helloooo, I'm still here!" I voice, slowly getting pissed at the bunch of them talking over me. I hate being spoken about like I'm not here.

"He's waiting Cain." Raina sings, keep on going with the talking over me and Cain bursts. "SHUT THE HELL UP RAINA! THERE'S GOTTA BE A DECENT WAY TO TELL YOUR BEST FRIEND THAT YOU KNOCKED UP HIS SISTER!" He roars and my green eyes grow. "What?" 

"What?" Raina laughs shakily, slowly putting down the milk carton. "Stop the shit Cain. This isn't funny." She glances nervously around. "I mean - haha, you got me. Good one. You're hilarious babe. Rafael and I are not related, right?"

"Right?" She looks at me with big gray eyes.

"HOW THE HELL IS RAINA PREGNANT?!" I yelp, my attention snags on 'knocked up' and 'Raina' in the same sentence while Raina abruptly stands straight. "You told me no more secrets Cain, you promised." Her eyes swim with tears but I look at her slack-jawed. "What?"

"How?" I demand and Raina strides into the room, banging it closed behind her. An audible click echoes around the room and Cain slumps on the couch. "That's not how I wanted to tell her."

"You're properly in the shithouse now Cain." Mase whistles, still munching on his cereal.

"How is Raina pregnant?" My hands cup my face in shock, looking at my orangey pink flesh of my hands as the light shines into the apartment like it had the answers to all my questions.

"Well Rafe, do you want the biological explanation? I thought someone taught you about the birds and the bees already." Mason says and I groan. My position matching Cain's as we both sigh.

Snake was stealing all my money - he told me that Raina was related to us. My cousin loved betting and especially betting on something he had prior knowledge about. Unfair but yeah, Raina's my sister now and the way things were going with Cain - she's going to be married by this time next year.