U N D I C I

"So Raina... "Astrid starts mischievously. "What's going on between you and Cain?"

I raise my eyebrow, a habit I've seemingly picked up from spending all that time with Cain.

"Nothing." I lie through my teeth and they look away knowing grins on their faces. We step into the cold night air and pack our stuff in the car.

I get in the driver's seat with Sakura sitting shotgun and Astrid sitting in the backseat. I drop Astrid at her school dorm and Sakura at her hotel before driving back to Cain's.

I park the car grabbing my shopping bags from the boot then walking into the empty elevator which is taking it's time to get to my floor.

I step into the empty looking apartment switching on the lights. What the fuck is going on over here?

It looks like a hurricane swept through the apartment - and it looks like no one's here either which is odd enough be cause Cain said he'd be here. My eyes grow wide. Cain!?

I look for him in the kitchen and adjoined living room. Not there.

His bedroom is empty too. I look in his office where he's sitting slumped over a bottle of whiskey staring at the bookshelf.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Raina?" He says and I get a good look at his bloodshot eyes. I swear walking to his side. "The fuck Cain?!"

I smack the side of his head, "You fucking made me worried. The house is trashed. I thought something happened to you. You asshole!" I scold him more out of worry than anger.

"Kitten." Cain stops my hand from hitting him for the fifth time. "Love. I'm okay." He says slowly tugging my raised arm down against his chest. "No injuries, see!"

I look all over him finding he's telling the truth. "Then tell me why are you drunk off your fucking ass!" I cup his face in my hands slinging my leg over his lap before sitting looking at him worriedly. "What happened Cain?" I ask him my eyes soft.

He laughs ruefully. "I knew my kindness would come back and bite me in the ass one day." He says taking another swig of the whiskey bottle. "It's that bitch Heather and her fucking mother." I look at him as his hand tightens on the bottle.

I take it from him gulping the last of its contents as he looks at me in confusion.
"I need it if you're going to talk about Heather." I state. "That girl brings shit wherever she goes."

He chuckles, "I take it you've had an experience with the snake."
I nod resting my head against his warm chest. "Tell me what happened Cain."

He sighs tiredly stroking my hair. "Her father has my brother. Ara and I always wanted another sibling. And we got our wish in the form of Mason - he was born just a couple years after me." He says wistfully. "After my parents' later divorce - my father got custody of Mason which made sense because he's the fucking mafia boss. No one wants to piss off Giovanni Romero. So he got custody. A punishment to my mother for leaving him." I hug him gently and he shudders. Cain's been keeping in his feelings for a long time even longer than me I suppose. "But my mother remarried. Getting married to Heather's dad who's even more snake-like than his fucking daughter."

"Wait, I thought you were the eldest?" I murmur and he stares off, stuck in another time. "My father is Giovanni Romero and my mother is Yelen Aetos. Arabella was the eldest and then me and then Mason. Ara was twenty, I was fifteen and Mason was barely a toddler when Arabella died. After Ara's death, my dad rightly blamed me for what happened and yes, he used to hurt me and enjoy it." Cain chokes up, eyes swimming with tears. But he didn't let a single tear fall - making himself suffer even now. "My mother never agreed and they started arguing more and more. She finally got a divorce and custody of Mason with the help of my grandfather Peta Aetos. Ran away, eloped with Heather's dad."

Cain runs his hands through his hair. "Shit. I need more alcohol." Cain sets me on the couch getting up to find something else to drink.

"Woah, babe." I walk after Cain taking the bottle of vodka out of his hand. Cain looks at me a hopeless expression gracing his handsome features. "I can't anymore love."

My heart breaks a little seeing him so broken, so defeated. "That Granger man hurt him Raina. They hurt him like my father hurt me." A tear falls down his face.

"They hit him. And I can't do anything about it." My heart just broke for this beautiful man standing in front of me.

I dry his tears. "I can't say it will be alright." I say honestly looking at his golden yellow orbs. "But I can promise you I will try my best to help." I kiss his forehead.

He lifts his head catching me unaware planting his sinful lips on mine in a heated kiss. His hand going pulling off my shirt deepening the kiss.

He tastes like chocolate and liquor. I come up for air and Cain peppers my neck with kisses.

I lead him to the room. "Not now Rain. Not when I'm like this." He says sadly and I smile. I have no idea how one of the fiercest and scariest mafia leader's is so... so good.

"Come." I say to Cain and we shower. No kisses or groping, just a shower. I dry myself off and Cain hands me one of his shirts as he puts on a pair of boxers.

I'm so tired I practically crawl into the bedroom. Cain picks me up gently tucking me into the bed alongside him.

Cain curls up into me as I spoon him. Even bad guys need someone to look after them. Some won't agree but bad guys are humans too.

My brother was wrong. My parents were wrong. Jack was wrong.

The bad ones aren't all that bad.

¤~¤~¤~¤~¤

Sup guys

I know I said the playlist is at the end but this song deserves some recognition. It inspired this chapter. Everyone give a round applause for... Lonely Together by Avicii and Rita Ora. Sad asf.

See ya!