E P I L O G O

I stood silently, a blank mask of indifference on my face as I watched the bride walk down the aisle with a megawatt smile on her face.

She wore white. Beautiful, beautiful ivory toned white. Anyone would agree right now that Vassia looked gorgeous.

Her hair was in an elaborate updo, complementing the modest duchess satin dress that accentuated her every curve, and it was only Mason and Cain's father that accompanied her down the aisle into married life.

Of course.

He was her godfather. And the head of the Romero mafia. Any fool could see that this marriage was an alliance, or a truce at worst.

The church was quiet: proud smiles on everyone's faces as they looked at the bride in awe. The traditional wedding March played on the organ as tinted light shone through the stained-glass windows.

Every pew was filled with people, but the seat beside mine was empty. I tried my hardest to not notice the poorly hidden assassins but alas I could not. A lifetime of being Raina Chase made sure that I'd never let down my guard completely.

Cain kissed my cheek close to half an hour ago and apologized for leaving me alone so soon and I only nodded firmly. He had to do what he had to do.

I was no longer Raina Chase, the best assassin in the Organization. I wasn't the best anymore.
I was Raina Romero now, a title that I'd earned with my retirement.

I was going to be a mom. Something I'd never thought I'd become after becoming an assassin. Becoming a mother wasn't something I knew I wanted... but Cain and our bug.

I've always wanted a family.

I didn't know this was how it was going to happen... but I want to be a better parent than mine were, I want to become a family that doesn't break when misfortune hits. I want my kid to belong in our makeshift family.

I glanced at the front of the church where Caldwell stood with admiration shining in his eyes as he gazed at his wife-to-be. On his right stood Jason and Kassimir.

Jason...

It was the first time I saw him since that day at the Four Seasons Gala. And today, I actually looked.

He was broader than he used to be, with a more defined jawline and wide shoulders. Jason was born blond, but his hair darkened over the years leaving him with light brown hair. His brown eyes didn't change, and the arrogant tilt of his nose was also the same as it always was. He wore a navy suit with a champagne colored tie- same as all the groomsmen.

My brother wore an easy smile, eyes glittering at the woman walking in front of Vassia. Surprisingly it wasn't Sefira with her pitch black hair and big brown eyes.

It was someone else.

Israh Hasan.

The shock on my face registers and I... the dots start clicking in place. It's making sense now.

Cain's in danger.

Shit.

Israh's been behind it this whole time. I back up slowly in disbelief and almost fall onto the seat behind me, but someone catches me in the nick of time. "Hey, are you okay?" My eyes are unfocused and jumping all over the place. My vision finally returns, and my eyes focus on the face in front of me.

"Thanks Shane." I stand upright, Shane worriedly lets go of me, and Willow looks at me with wide eyes over the shoulder of her date. I didn't notice that she and Shane were together, I should've.

"I'm okay, I think I just need to clear my head for a second or two outside." I murmur, glancing around to see if anyone else saw me almost faint. But everyone's eyes were on the bridal pair in the front of the church.