ii. sweet rides

꒾ CHAPTER 2 ꒾

CHAPTER 2

JU WOKE UP TO THE SOUND of her alarm clock beeping obnoxiously loud. She groaned as she tried to reach the cursed object while still being half asleep, crashing her entire body onto the floor in the process as she was finally able to turn it off.

"I think my ass just broke-"

What a great way to start the day. The adult pushed herself off the ground of her apartment, and slugged her way to the shower. After belting Taylor Swift the whole time, (Ju still believed that she was an icon even after the 2010's), Ju slid on her favorite blue sweatshirt and slightly worn out jeans. Grabbing her phone and putting it in her work bag, she got the pastries that she got from the bakery the other day from her fridge. Ju always made sure to give the Chen family something in return for letting her eat breakfast over there with Shaun and Katy every morning before work.

She also made sure to cover for Shaun with her pastries, though he didn't know that.

After Ju got her uniform in her bag, she made her way out onto the streets and starting walking to the Chen household. She had always adored Katy's whole family, especially her grandmother. She loved hearing stories about the "olden days" as her best friend liked to call it. It sort of reminded her of what her ancestors before her had to do for them so they could be here today.

As Ju got close to the small apartment, she saw Shaun walking toward her. Both adults waved and smiled at her, falling into step with one another on the sidewalk.

"Do you think there's gonna be any sweet rides today Ju?" Shaun asked her, striking up a conversation.

Both Ju and Shaun's English had gotten extremely better over the years they had moved to the States, since Katy had been helping them both. Sometimes whenever they were hanging out together and Katy couldn't make it, they would speak Mandarin the whole time. It would bring comfort to both of them.

"I don't know, but if their is, I'm definitely calling first dibs."

Shaun shook his head, "No way, you would feel bad and give to someone else and we both know it."

Ju pretended to pout at the man, but it just resulted in her bursting into a fit of laughter. Soon Shaun joined in, and it started to die down as they appeared outside the apartment complex's buzzer. Shaun pressed the buzzer, and after a few rings (Only legends get it) Katy's mom answered the call, and the two adults answered telling her who they were.

The two raised up the stairs and knocked on the Chen's door twice. Katy's little brother opened the door and grinned at them. Ju had to admit, she had grown to have a soft spot for the boy. He always knew what he wanted to and when he wanted to do it- not that the trio could relate- and he had incredible taste in music. He was the one who actually taught Ju about pop culture!