viii. escape

꒾ CHAPTER 8 ꒾

CHAPTER 8

HEAVY FOOTSTEPS WERE THE ONLY SOUND HEARD as Shang's father lead the adults through the hallways of the Ten Rings. Ju slowly fell into step with Xialing, seeing that she was very fidgety and on edge.

"You ok?" she whispered.

The woman turned her head and locked eyes with Ju.

"Yeah"

Ju, not fully convinced, nodded slowly as she looked ahead once more. They still had no idea where Wenwu was taking them, so it was fair for all of them to be extremely careful and nervous. Xialing began fiddling with her pendant.

At last, Wenwu stopped in front of a room. Each wall was made with stone that had carvings in each layer. In the far middle wall, there was a sculpture of a dragon, it was very detailed and beautiful, but the eyes were cut out. Wenwu turned to Xialing and Shang, while putting out his hand in front of the woman, silently asking for the pendant.

Xialing hesitantly took the necklace off, softly placing it in her father's hand. In his pocket, the man pulled out Shang's, making Katy's eyes widen considerably.

Wenwu walked toward the dragon, carefully placing each pendant into each eye. They fitted perfectly. The man stood back in front of the rest of them, as if waiting for something. Ju looked at him confused. Suddenly, water sprouted out of the wall. She stepped back as her eyes widened with awe.

If Ju was being completely honest, the sight was beautiful. The water did not sodden them, only float around the adults, creating different shapes and textures. A small bubble formed in front of her, and she couldn't help but let her childish side shine through as she put her hand through it.

Much to Ju's surprise, the water engulfed her hand, making it a makeshift glove. The woman laughed softly as the water tickled her fingers. Her smile turned into a frown as Wenwu started talking, for it made the liquid wash away and move into the air again.

"This...this is where it all started children." The man said.

Everyone looked confused, but Shang was the one to voice all their thoughts.

"What do you mean?"

Wenwu faced his son with an intense look on his face.

"This is where I heard your mother"

That was the moment where everything changed. Where Ju knew that this was real. There was no turning back now. Maybe it was the fact that Wenwu still believed that his wife was still alive. Maybe it was the fact that she knew that he knew about the gate. The Gate that held the most dangerous spirits to ever exist. She knew that.

She knew that because those spirits killed her family.

If the spirits drove him to Ta Lo, there was no telling what he would do. What he could do under the influence of those damned things. Her breathing started to quicken as she thought of all the scenarios. Every thought rapidly flying across her brain, feeling as if her head might explode from the overwhelming amount.