vi. new acquaintances

꒾ CHAPTER 6 ꒾

CHAPTER 6

LIGHT AND QUICK FEET padded against the floor as Ju walked toward the room with metal walls. She was told that her friends and possibly Xialing, Shang's sister, was also in there. To be honest, she just wanted to get out of this place. It gave her creepy vibes. She was pulled out of her thoughts when the graffitied and tattered door came into view.

As Ju walked in, she saw Shang and Katy sitting on a worn sofa, while another woman with black hair striking red lipstick who she assumed to be Xialing. It seemed that they were talking before she came.

Katy immediately jumped up and jogged toward Ju, congratulating and hugging her. Shang grinned at her with sparkling eyes as Katy sat down again, while Ju decided to lean against the desk next to Xialing. Said woman looked at her and smirked.

"I was watching your big fight earlier, nice tricks you got. No one has ever been able to defeat the Chuang twins, and make them beg for mercy." Xialing praised her.

Ju smirked back, while saying a 'thanks'. Both women could tell they were going to be good friends. The man in the room cleared his throat awkwardly, trying to get back on topic. Normally, he would feel great that his best friend and sister were getting along, but now they had a more important matter at hand.

"Sister" He said, gaining her attention. "The Ten Rings found us. It's only a matter of time before they come here." His sister looks unimpressed. He sighs.

"They took my pendant. And when they come they'll try to take yours too."

This caused interest to light up on the young woman's features. "What?"

No one could respond before an alarm blared throughout the entire building, with red lights flashing in the room. Ju's gaze immediately went to Shang's in a panic, not even realizing she was doing it. Both of them knew that the Ten Rings had somehow tracked them down, and now they were going to try and get Xialing's pendant for whatever reason. The trio stood up as Shang's sister tucked her necklace into her shirt and quickly ran to the secret elevator.

The only catch was that she intended to close it before they could get in.

Ju's jaw almost dropped to the floor in that moment. What the hell was that? Did Shang really mess up that bad with her that she didn't care if they got killed or not? Damn Shang. As the she composed herself, the man beside her rushed Ju and Katy to the stairs.

"You guys go! They're looking for me." He ushered them up the concrete. Katy went without hesitation, while Ju stayed behind and and looked Shang in the eyes, uncertain.

"Are you sure?" She asked hesitantly.

The man nodded his head and put his hands gently on her cheeks. Ju's heart sped up.

"Go" He whispered, wishing it came out more loud and clear. But Ju heard him. She took one last look at him before she ran up the stairs that Katy had previously taken.

Katy had obviously gone to another floor, as the one Ju had ended up on was entirely empty. That was until someone landed on the floor behind her. She stayed where she was, back to the person, until they put a hand on her shoulder. She immediately grabbed it and twisted their hand, making them cry out. Ju turned around and kneed them in the gut. The person was wearing a dark mask, so she couldn't see who it was, but she could definitely see the deathly glare they were giving her. All she did was smirk as they ran at her.

They jumped in the air with a yell, diving down and attempting to stab her with their knife. They had succeeded in making her fall to the ground, but narrowly missing her eye being cut out. Instead, the blade dug into one of the legs of the wooden table by her. The table looked like it had seen better days.

Ju quickly rolled away from a punch that was being sent her way. She jumped up from her place on the ground and landed on her legs with one hand on the ground, almost as a lunge. Ju looked around for any resource, which wasn't very helpful, seeing that the floor was a lost cause for any. Until a crowbar caught her eye. She picked it up just as the person came running at her again.

Twirling the piece of metal in her hand, Ju dug the item into the person's knees. They screamed in pain, and Ju almost felt a little bit of pity. Almost. She ducked under the someone's body recovering their knife from the table. She quickly flung it towards them, trapping their shirt to the wall. Ju walked over as they struggled to get out of the grip of the knife.

As Ju came closer, she picked up the crowbar gain and smashed the butt of it against the person's head, knocking them unconscious.

Just as she did so, armed men with the Ten Rings logo came rushing in, guns pointed at her. They took Ju by the arm as she struggled against their iron grip. One of them made a knife slash against her cheek to shut her up. Ju hissed in pain as the blade made contact with her skin.

The men led her towards another floor with a helicopter in the garage opening. Inside, there were even more men. Ju let out an aggravated sigh. If anything, she was tired. The slash on her cheek was stinging, and she could feel a couple of drops of blood dripping down her face. She could tell it would leave some sort of a mark, though she didn't think it was that deep, thankfully.

Ju's eyes widened though, as she saw Shang and Katy looking at her with the same facial expressions. The cut must've been worse than she thought, because Shang looked at her in guilt as a small drop of her blood made it's way onto the floor.

The woman could see that the leader of the Ten Rings, Wenwu. His hand was on Shang's shoulder which made her incredibly angry. The legend looked between his son and this woman, tilting his head in confusion. He could see that Shang cared deeply for her, but why? This woman held no special value. No place in this world. She was of no importance to his kingdom. She could not help in returning his wife back to him. She was worthless.

Or so he thought. He may not know this now, but Ju would be the only way to fully open the gate. And she didn't even know it yet. The man would never want to admit it, but...

They would need Ju more than anyone ever knew.