x. training

꒾ CHAPTER 10 ꒾

CHAPTER 10

JU WALKED WITH YING NAN through Ta Lo, staying respectfully silent as they stopped at the lake. The old woman faced the water, a distant look in her wise eyes. She finally spoke.

"Some thought that you wouldn't come back, that you only left to escape the grief of your loss in the war," Ying turned her head to look at Ju, "But I knew that you would return home, that you would find out who you are."

Ju shook her head, staring at the ripples of the water in the lake.

"After all these years I still don't think I answered that question"

"Do you know why we call you Sheji?" Ju shook her head. "We call you this because you are like the grains of soil that we are standing on at this moment. You help the world grow, and are stronger than the whole plant combined. You were chosen by the ancestors to lead us, child."

"But how can I lead all of you?"

"My dear, you think the same as your father once did." Ying chuckled and gestured to the lake.

"Finding who you are is like the ripples in the water. Once you get one push, one splash, there will be no other doubt." The old woman looked back at Ju.

"The only question, is that are you ready to find out who you are?"

•••

Shang walked through a small gate leading to the sister of his mother, Ying Nan, who greeted Ju earlier. The woman, sensing his presence, looked up toward him.

"Come" she beckoned with her hand.

Ying got into a fighting stance, signaling she wanted to spar. Shang copied her movement, agreeing to the proposal. The man through the first hit, resulting in it getting blocked. Punch after punch, Shang attempted to get one hit at the woman, but failed.

His aunt stood back and made a circular motion with her feet and hands, similar to the way Ju did on the bus fight. Leaves scattered around Ying, surrounding her as they flew at Shang. The boy attempted to block them, resulting in only punching thin air.

After the sudden blow of harsh air, Shang slowly got up and looked at his aunt with pleading eyes.

"My mother was able to defeat my father somehow. Please, teach me how she did it."

The old woman looked at her nephew, conflicted. If he went the wrong path, as his father did, he would be dangerous, but she had faith in Shang.

Ying walked toward the boy, touching his shoulders.

"I will."