xiv. bloody tears of misery

꒾ CHAPTER 14 ꒾

CHAPTER 14

IT WAS A GAME.

A sick, twisted game of Cat and Mouse. Punch. Dodge. Block. Kick. Stab. Adrenaline coursed through Ju's veins as she made her way through her enemies. She made sure to watch Katy's back from the corner of her eye, confirming that not a scratch was placed on her friend. The smell of iron reeked through the air, portraying a wicked cloak of madness from the blood spilled on the once peaceful grounds of Ta Lo.

Warriors grunted, pushing past the enemy has they protected their own side. The children were kept in a safe bunker underground, but Lord knows their spines were crawling with fear as they heard the sounds of war from above.

There was some sort of pattern. The Ten Rings on offense, and Ta Lo on defense. The enemy would throw a punch and the offensive team would block or dodge. Sweat dotted Ju's eyebrow as her body screamed for a break, but per usual, she ignored it. The familiar warmth of her geokinesis flooded through her the palms of her hands as vines sprouted across the ground she touched, warning anyone who came near.

Katy was using her bow and arrow to help fight. Well.. attempted to help.

About a mile away, Wenwu was using his rings to try and break the Gate. Shang was on his way, driven by determination to help those he loved with all his heart. Ju fought alongside her old mentor, both of them wielding different weapons and performing a series of multiple fight sequences.

The smell of sweat filled the air as the hours past by, the sun starting to set beautifully. Orange and pink blended in with the green grass and red blood covering the dreaded war zone.

All of the sudden, a rumble emerged from the ground beneath the warriors. Ju grabbed onto Katy as she stumbled from the shake. There's no way there would be an earthquake now.. right? A small sting appeared above Ju's eyebrow, alerting her of the gash that was forming as she raised it in confusion. By now, most people had stopped fighting, wondering what had just happened. Suspense filled the air, covering the entire battlefield.

Then, a scream.

A terrible, horrible scream. One filled with anguish and misery. A black and red tail flew by, along with many others. Inhumane screams and screeches came from the sky, making Ju's ears feel as if they were bleeding.

No. Please no.

A final thud filled the battlefield, coming from the Gate. It was cracked. Ju frantically looked around, searching for her best friend. Where was Katy? She started hyperventilating as more of the vicious bodies flew through the skies. More screams erupted, but this time it sounded like the warriors who were fighting each other only moments ago. Ju's hearing was replaced with a deafening ring, making her grip her hair.