chapter 9

Desdemona's laying in Wooyoung's bed, reading the book she borrowed from Yeosang, when she hears a knock on the door.

"Hey, uh it's Mingi." She barely hears Mingi's timid voice from the other side of the door.

"You can come in." She says back with a smile. Mingi walks in the room awkwardly standing at the end of the bed. "You can sit down too." She laughs, folding the page she was reading and closing the book. Mingi sits down like she told him with a considerable amount of distance between them. 

"Yeosang said we should get to Tortuga by tomorrow. I thought you'd want to know." He says, Desdemona is always mesmerized by his deep voice. He's not often loud so she doesn't hear it much.

"Ah yes I did want to know, I asked San where the next port was and he said it was Tortuga, he just wasn't sure when we'd get there."

"Yeosang's our navigator and he told us today." Des was about to ask about the other boy's jobs when Mingi notices the book. "Sink me! You can read?" She doesn't understand the way these pirates talk sometimes, but with the expression on his face what he's saying must be good.

"Mhm, my family was quite wealthy." She's not lying really, her family was wealthy.

"The only one on the ship that can read and write is Yeosang. He reads to us sometimes, and he don't talk like the rest of us. He helps us out some though." Mingi's eyes are wide and Des gets an idea.

"Would you like me to read to you?" Mingi lights up and a smile splits his face. Des really likes his smile.

"That would be bloody amazing!" She pats the place on the bed beside her and Mingi crawls up the bed. She opens the book and continues where she left off. Mingi's extremely attentive, taking in every word she's saying. Des continues reading, she adjusts their position so Mingi's more comfortable. His head is laying in her lap while she's reclined on the headboard. He blushes but in no time he settles into her lap, turning his body to face her stomach. After a few minutes her hand drifts to play with his hair. Mingi also gets a little more confident and brings a hand up to her thigh beside his head, rubbing back and forth. He sighs and closes his eyes, nuzzling into her thighs.

"Hey, don't fall asleep." She says and tugs on his hair a little.

"I can't help it, you're voice's so soothin' and you're thigs are soft." He whines and Des laughs at him, God he's too cute. He looks up at her when she laughs. "You're so beautiful." He blushes a little while he says it and it makes her smile. He loves her smile.

"So are you, Mingi." He visibly shivers when she whispers his name. He props himself up on his arm now towering over her. He starts to lean in, focusing on her lips. They're close, almost about to kiss when the door swings open.

"I know ya'll ain't having sex in my bed!" Wooyoung yells when he walks in. Mingi jumps away from Des while she doubles over laughing at Wooyoung, and Mingi's reaction. 

"Wooyoung! You could've knocked!" Mingi yells without much bite, his face and neck furiously red from his blush. Wooyoung does nothing but laugh.

"Why would I knock? This be my bloody room, and besides it not like ya'll were naked." Wooyoung says while laughing. Des thinks it's cute how their English gets worse when they get excited or mad, or experience any emotion really. Des continues to laugh with Wooyoung and Mingi can't help but smile a little, they sound so beautiful together.

"Des I was wonderin' if you'd wanna go to the crow's nest with me?" Wooyoung laughs at her confused face. "It's the basket thing on the mast of the ship, I'm a lookout so my job's up there." He explains for her.

"Well before we were so rudely interrupted, I was reading to Mingi." Wooyoung mutters something along the lines of, It didn't look like you were reading, with a smirk.

"Oh, it's okay I have to go see Hongjoong anyway. I actually think he wanted to see me a while a go so I should probably leave." Mingi confesses with a scared face.

"You better go before he gets the whole crew to look for you." Wooyoung laughs and Mingi quickly walks out of the room. "So, you gonna go with me beautiful?"

"Of course." She gets up and Wooyoung takes her hand leading her out of the door and to the main deck. They get to the crows nest and Des looks up at it. "So how do we get up there?"  Wooyoung grabs a rope connected to the mast.

"We climb, of course." He smirks, "Are you gonna need help beautiful?" Des doesn't like the condescending smirk on his face, so she grabs the rope and starts to pull herself up. She's had plenty of practice from sneaking out, attempting to get away from her mother. She climbs up the rope with practiced ease, jumping into the crow's nest. She looks down and smiles at Wooyoung.

"Are you coming?" She smirks down at him. He climbs up to the crow's nest much like she had.

"That was quite impressive, and pretty hot." He smirks at her and she rolls her eyes, hitting him in the chest. She looks around the ship, gazing out towards the water. It's serene, the water calm, the only sound being the bustle of the crew below them. Desdemona doesn't remember the last time she's felt this free, maybe she's never felt this before. She doesn't have to run away from anyone, she enjoys the company of the boys on the ship. Des is going to miss this when she gets dumped at Tortuga. She wishes things could go differently, maybe she'd be able to stay. She's so caught up in her thought that she doesn't see Wooyoung looking at her. She looks so beautiful, the wind blowing her hair away from her face, the sunset glowing on her tan skin bringing out her freckles. The sun making her gray eyes shine. She truly looks unreal to Wooyoung. 

"You're staring." She says turning to look at him.

"How could I not?" He swiftly replies back, Wooyoung isn't embarrassed to tell the truth.

"Shut up." She smiles while blushing a little bit. Her and Wooyoung fall asleep together in the crow's nest that night, with a pillow and blanket that just happened to be in there.