A Moment of Hope

Washington D.C.

Hayley smiles softly as she feels a warm hand stroke her bare back

Hayley smiles softly as she feels a warm hand stroke her bare back. The sun is just rising on the horizon and this is the first time in years for her to wake up without having anything to fear from anyone near her. No Klaus with his paranoid conspiracy theories, no Elijah watching her like a hawk whenever her behaviour seems dubious to him and no Kol or Rebekah who seem to avoid their brother's wrath at any cost. Hayley remembers that once, when Klaus threatened to kill her, Kol was nearby and did nothing.

At first, she counted herself lucky. She got a lovely daughter with a family who provided a very comfortable lifestyle for her and her baby. In other words, a home and someone who loved her. Having been a rogue werewolf before, this was a dream at the beginning. And her little girl's father and uncle were really hot too. She liked to have fun with them. Nothing serious, of course, she just casually hung out with both of them for some fun in her free time. Since neither Klaus nor Elijah were interested in her as a steady girlfriend, they did not mind her hanging out with whichever one she felt like hanging out at the moment. But eventually, she realized just how little they cared in actual fact. She knew they didn't love her, but when Klaus locked her away for meeting up with some other werewolves in New Orleans, she saw for herself that none of her occasional lovers cared about her well-being at all. The threats the blonde hybrid sometimes threw at her suddenly became a lot more real and she eventually started to fear the Mikaelsons.

She had been wanting to get away from them for a very long time now, but knowing that she couldn't take her daughter with her made her stay. Until now.

Damon probes himself up on his elbows behind her. "Good morning, beautiful!" he murmurs.

The brunette werewolf smiles at her lover. "Good morning yourself! I still can't believe you found a witch to help us."

"Well, I'm kinda friends with her cousin. Plus, she once almost killed my brother's girl, so she felt guilty. She cloaked us so people can't track us. I didn't exactly tell her everything, but, if we keep moving around the world for a while, we'll be safe from those originals. Who, by the way, never deserved you anyway." Damon replies.

"Good." the brunette woman says.

Damon smirks and gets out of the bed. "So, should we go and check on the little one?"

Hayley bites her lip and nods.

***

Stefan's PoV

Rebekah joins us in the living room. She walks up to us and folds her arms. My girlfriend does not look happy, as I might add.

"Nik told me your idiotic wanker of a brother took my niece and her mother away from us! You have ten seconds to explain yourself to me!" her icy voice bears cold fury, betrayal and pain.

I step a bit closer to her, my gaze pleadingly set on her eyes.

"Rebekah, I swear, I had no idea what Damon was up to! If I had, I would have tried to stop him! But, when I learned what happened, I just didn't know how to deal with it. He might be an asshole, but he's still my brother! Something you of all people understand the best, I know you do! I wanted to tell you, but if Klaus catches Damon, he'll kill him. I love my brother, Bekah. But I also love you!" I poignantly say.