Kol

Bonnie's PoV

"You were conspiring with witches against your own brother?" I can hear the disbelief in my own voice when I ask this.

Kol sighs in annoyance. "You make it sound so evil. It wasn't." he insists. I give him a wordless side glance. Eventually, he leans back in his drivers seat and takes a deep breath.

"Klaus has daggered me countless times over the long centuries of our existance. Just once, I wanted to do the same to him. The problem was, those daggers don't work on him. So, I asked a witch friend of mine to help me create a dagger that does. That was 1912. We were really close to finishing our work, but then, just one step to the finish line, we got caught. Klaus daggered me and my witches spent the rest of their lives locked up in the witch asylum."

"There's an asylum only for witches?" I ask. I can't help it; it just sounds so strange.

"There is. But that's not the point here. The point is, if we can get back there and finish that spell, we could neutralize my brother for centuries, forever perhaps!" Kol replies.

I ponder over his words. This sounds a little too good to be true, but it is the only thing we have. Still, if it's too good to be true, there's probably more to it.

"And this spell you're talking about... what does it entail?" I ask, suspicion rising in me.

Kol shrugs. "Two witches, the dagger and a diamond."

"That's it?"

"That's it. The only problem back then was, for a spell this size, we needed a really big diamond. When we tried to get the biggest one in town, well, I said it already, we got caught. But now, it's different. I went to New York the other day. Told my siblings there was a strip show. And now, I have a spectacular diamond in my possession, big enough to create any dagger. All we need is a second witch you share a bond with, and we can be on our way."

I exhale, processing. Then, I say: "Do you know another witch?"

"No, I don't. I thought you did." he says, his tone changing from optimistic to anxious. He gives me a glance in which I can read worry. It seems like he really means what he says. And his motives are completely reasonable. Maybe I underestimated him.

I shake my head. "The only other witch I know is my cousin Lucy. I only met her once and she went away after what happened with Damon."

His face falls. He looks obviously bothered.

"Looks like you should have gone to that strip show instead after all!" I say, trying to tease him a little. Hopefully, he won't try to kill me for making fun of him.

He grins. "Oh, no, don't worry, darling, I did. Just because I went to fulfill a century old mission to defeat my all-powerful brother, is there no reason to miss a good strip show!"

I laugh. A response like that is not what I expected, but I kind of like it.

It is actually kind of cool to learn about his boyish and somehow charming way of living. After years of considering him a psychopathic playboy with an obsession for bashing people's heads in with a baseball bat, this is a nice surprise. Apparently, he can be serious, smart and has a sense of humor.

When I look back at him, I catch him staring at me. His dark eyes are sparkling in the city lights. He seems somewhat serious, but there is still the small hint of a smirk ghosting on his lips. He actually doesn't look that bad, now that I think about it.

The car comes to a halt. We are back at my place. I reach for the handle to open the door, but Kol puts a hand on my arm and stops me. I look at him. He is completely serious now and his glance is poignant.