Concerns

On that evening, when I come home to Tatia, Niklaus and Haakon, I am met with the most curious brother-in-law this world has ever seen. Niklaus is smirking so hard, his dimples are showing obviously and his blue eyes are sparkling with mischief.

"So, tell me everything! Did my brother finally ask you the big question? Are you going to be double my sister-in-law soon??" he asks eagerly.

Haakon, who is apparently busy helping his step-father with his chores, joins in on the excitement. "Yeah. Is it true that you're going to marry father's brother?"

"Whoa, you two, slow down. Elijah and I just had a talk. It's not that important. Anyway, where can I find Tatia? I'd like to talk to her." I avoid their questions.

Haakon points to the hut. "Mother is making dinner."

"Thank you, sweetheart." I run a hand through his dark curls and give Niklaus a short nod before walking into the hut.

I find my sister at the cooking place, making dinner. "Tatia, we need to talk."

"Are you alright? You sound distressed." she notices and looks at me with mild concern.

I shakily exhale. "Something happened with Elijah. It's important and I don't know what to do."

"Oh." Tatia's concern vanishes, "Well, if this is only about a man, you might as well help me make dinner while you talk. The rabbit needs to be prepared. Get to it."

"Oh, uh, sure." I say and take the dead animal. It still gives me a sad feeling in my stomach, seeing those poor animals get killed, prepared and eaten. At the beginning, I almost became a vegetarian because of it. But in winter, meat is our main nutrition, so, since I didn't want to starve, I started eating it again.

Anyway, after taking the rabbit, I try to get back to the topic at hand. "Tatia, about Elijah..."

"Ah, so you're finally talking about it." Niklaus enters the hut, firewood in hands, "You know, my brother will tell me everything, there's really no use in trying to keep it between you and my lovely wife." he grins.

I look down, avoiding his gaze. "Well, yes. Fine, I'll tell you. Elijah has asked me to marry him."

"Ah, I knew it!" Niklaus rejoices, "When's the big day?"

"We... haven't talked about that yet." I try to dodge, "And anyway, I forgot something. I need to go see Ayana. Excuse me." I hurry out of the hut, shooting a poignant glance at Tatia on my way out.

The evening air is cold against my face as I make my way to Ayana's hut. It's true what I just told Niklaus, Tatia and Haakon. Elijah did ask me to marry him. It was shortly after our kiss.

Flashback

We slowly ease out of the kiss. Elijah has his hand on the side of my face, his thumb stroking my temple. He looks me in the eye. I breathe heavily, still feeling dizzy from the kiss, almost like I'm floating.

Elijah lays his other hand on the other side of my face, so he is cupping my head in his palms. "Elena, do you still love me? Like you did when we last talked here?"

"Yes." I let out a small giggle, the idea that I might have stopped loving him seeming completely absurd to me, "Of course I still love you."

"Good." His lips form a crooked grin, "In that case, Elena, I would like to formally ask for your hand in marriage."

End of Flashback

Hearing Elijah ask that question still fills my entire body with a warm, tingling rush of delight, sending me flying again. However, as much as I wanted to, I could not say yes. Not just like that. Even if I've been feeling like there's a boulder on my heart, weighing it down, ever since he proposed. This is why I urgently need to talk to Ayana and Tatia. I'm scared of what might happen if I say yes, I'm heartbroken at the thought of saying no and I am so unsure of what to do, I desperately need advice.