.instant.

AMARIA POV

There's nothing like the feeling of anticipation for the new year. The countdown, the parties, the food and games.

The high pitched laughter on a six month old, amused by the sound of kazoos.

My mother is throwing a small get together with some of our family to bring in the new year. She only invited a few people knowing that many of them have not yet seen Kailo.

Those are the members that have no sense of boundaries. They'd take pictures and post them everywhere, putting my son on display for the world to see.

The only members invited are my aunt Toni, my uncle Jaheem (her husband), my uncle Luke and my cousin Samara. Every one else is nosy.

Samara knows who Kailo's father is. The other wouldn't know who he was if I showed them a picture. She's a fan, a huge one. She's 16 and in her fan girl prime. She's got a giant poster of him on her wall, she went to his concert two years ago and got his autograph.

She cried about it for two whole days.

When I told her I was pregnant and who the father was, she gaped at me. She couldn't believe it. Her or Ivelisse at first. I mean, they believed me. It was just shocking to them and myself that I was carrying his child.

Samara was the first person outside of my mother and Ive to see him. She blinked at him many times before she finally spoke.

"Yeah you can't ever let anybody see him. He got his daddy whole face. You sure this your child too?" She joked as she took him from me. Ive agreed with her and I had no choice but to.

Kailo looks a lot like him. He looks like me sometimes but emphasis on sometimes.

"Hey cuz." Samara walks into the living room and hugs me before taking Kailo as she always does. "Hi, stink." She coos at him and he laughs, showing all of his gums.

"Hey, Mara. How you been?" I ask her as she sits in between Ive and I.

"Good. College is hard. Why y'all ain't tell me that?" She looks at us and we look away.

"Because you wouldn't have enrolled. Then you'd be out here looking like a big ass idiota." Ive says as she flicks the channel to live concert.

Ariana Grande is performing right now.

"I could be an influencer. High school is enough. You know billionaires have dropped out too, right?"

"Yeah out of Harvard, Yale and Stanford. If you have the brains to even be accepted to one of those schools, I'm going to question why you're even going. Big ass brain in your head." I tell her and she laughs. Ive snickers next to her.

"She doesn't need all that. Her head big enough as it is."

"Y'all know what. I don't have to sit here and take this." She gets up laughing. "Ive, you got a five head and Mari, your baby daddy doomed Kailo with the same fate. I don't want to hear either one of y'all mouths."

She points between us sending us into fits of laughter as she walks away to show Kailo to her parents.

"Oh my god. He is the cutest little thing. Chunky too. You feeding him good, Amaria." Aunt Toni calls to me and I smile at her.