.shadows.

THIRD

Jimin holds the steering wheel as he comes up on a red light. He looks in the rearview mirror at Kailo's car seat. The small mirror on the head of the backseat shows the baby's face, finally asleep.

After dinner with her parents, Amaria and Jimin got her car loaded up to drive to her house for their private conversation. Kailo was screaming because he couldn't see either of them and he couldn't touch them. So she stayed in the back seat and held his little hand until he fell asleep. When he did, Amaria moved back into the front seat.

Jimin smiles at his son before turning to Kai's mother. She has her elbow propped up by the window as she watches the scenery outside.

Her side profile is in view as they sit at the red light. He admires the brown of her eyes and the contour of her nose. His eyes drop to her full lips as she licks them.

The light turns green and he looks ahead, taking a few breaths before driving. He pulls into her driveway and they get out of the car. She opens the door to get Kailo out at the same time Jimin reaches for it. She looks at him and he blinks.

"I got him."

"Okay." She says quietly. She unlocks the front door and steps inside, holding it for Jimin. They take their shoes off and walk with their son to the living room.

Amaria takes her coat off and hangs it in the hall closet, taking Jimin's to do the same. He unbuckles Kailo from his car seat and she puts it away. They walk up the stairs together to give him a bath.

She grabs the baby tub as he runs the water, testing the temperature of it. He holds Kailo as he does it. The infant is on the verge of waking up; his little eyebrows keep dipping and straightening back out.

He whines as the baby tub begins to fill with water that his father deems a comfortable temperature for him.

"I know, I'm sorry. But you have to get a bath, man." He takes his clothes and diaper off, wiping him down before sitting him in the small tub. Amaria watches as Kailo's face screws up. His tiny lips quiver and she steps out to grab a pacifier.

She expects to hear the sound of him crying by the time she come out of his nursery yet it never comes. She pauses in step hearing Jimin speaking softly.

"Shhh. It's okay, Kai. You're okay, I promise." He wets the baby washcloth and squeezes the warm rag after against his chest. It takes a few times of doing that to calm him down. Jimin sees the bin of bath toys and pulls out a gel teething ring. He hands it to him and he grabs at it before putting it into his mouth.

"There you go. See? All good." He coos as he squeezes soap onto the washcloth. "I would never let anything happen to you. You're always safe with Daddy. Even in this tub that you hate so much. I promise that you'll never have to worry about anything.... Not for as long as I live.

"I'll always be here for you. No matter what. I love you so much, sweet boy."

Amaria's eyes water quicker than they ever have.

She realizes that she's been standing there for a while and wipes her eyes. She sniffles quietly and takes deep breaths before walking into the bathroom.

She sits on the floor with her legs crossed. "I went to get him a binkie but I guess that he doesn't need it."
Her voice is soft as she speaks, as if her entire demeanor has changed.