wishing is a dangerous thing

He knows he should move on. He knows that he shouldn't live in the past, but it isn't as easy as it sounds. Dream has had two years to get on with his life, instead he can't forget what they were and what they had become.

or

Dream spirals down a path of self destruction on a day that he should've forgotten.

TWs:
ANGST
Self-harm(memory and urge to do it)
Suicidal thoughts
Panic attack

Inspired by the song Faces by Hayd - lyrics are interspersed throughout the oneshot. Warning: it is a very sad song. Don't try to read at the speed of the song, I just threw in lyrics where I felt that they fit. I recommend that you listen to the song first to get the meaning and then listen to it when reading, but do what you want :)

---------

Two years.

He's been gone for two years.

Dream stares at his calendar, his hand shaking as he holds the corner of the smooth paper. Two years. Where has the time gone? One moment they were happy and the next he was gone.

They had so many dates that were important to them; May 8th, July 2nd, and... December 15th.

December 15th, today.

The day when he left, two years ago.

Dream swallows, tears welling in his eyes. He didn't expect it to come so fast. It seems like just yesterday they were on top of the world.

Tell me where the time goes, it's like I've had my eyes closed.

Two years of numbing silence in his house― their house. Dream looks away from the calendar and leaves his room. He walks through his dark house, lit only by the soft, morning light from outside.

When George left, everything changed. But what did Dream expect when he lost the only thing that meant something to him?

He used to be happy, always smiling with George. Inexplicable joy― no explicable; George was always the reason for his happiness. Dream's heart aches as his clothed feet pad into the kitchen.

He should eat, but even something so simple is difficult. He takes a deep breath and glances out his window. It's cold, not terribly so in the Florida winter, but the temperature sometimes got cold enough for him to offer George his jacket.

Now I'm waking up, won't somebody let me in from the cold.

Dream forces himself to smile weakly. He can hardly sleep anymore. When George left, his body seemed to stop functioning properly and became this void. A void that eats any emotion, that leaves Dream an empty body just going through the motions.

He has a list. A routine that he forces himself to do. One, wake up... an action that should be so simple, but Dream finds himself hoping that he'll fall asleep and never wake up. Two, eat something. Three, brush his teeth and shower. Four, get some sort of physical activity.

Dream wishes he could say he checks off more than one on the list a day.

George used to be here with him, doing everything with him. When he left, Dream couldn't bring it in himself to do any of those things anymore. He knows he shouldn't be so dependent on someone, but George was his everything.

A soulmate, a term that always made him sigh shakily when he thought of it. When half of you is missing, how do you put in the effort to do anything in full anymore?

I'm hurting and it's hard to surface once you fall through with no one to turn to.

Dream turns on his stove, his fingers going through the same motions. He cracks an egg and lets it fry in the pan. The smell used to be welcomed, always accompanied by a sleepy voice and warm hands.