merry-go-round feelings

Three years— the length of Dream's crush. Three years and no luck. George is everything he's ever wanted and so much more, yet here Dream is, stuck in the friendzone. It hurts him to be near George, knowing he can never have what he wants. Dream knows he has to find a way to shut his feelings off or risk rejection.

or

Dream spends the entirety of the night pining after George.

TWs:
Swearing
Bit of angst

Inspired by my want to write some pining

Dream, George, Sapnap, and Karl are all 17-18 years old in this oneshot

One of my favs so far! Enjoy :)

------------

Dream has many words to describe his best friend. Affable, amazing, affectionate, addictive, and those are just the a's. George is the carefree wind on a summer day, the warm fire on a chilly night, the sweet chocolate in the perfect hot cocoa. He's the tender words that cheer Dream up. The stars in the sky couldn't compare to light George is.

So you can't blame Dream for falling for him.

For his smile that lights up the room. His eyes that brighten at the sight of Dream. His soft touch and fluffy hair with tiny freckles that look like sprinkles. George sees the world optimistically. He lives in the moment, something Dream could never do. Part of Dream wants to envy George for that, but even if he tried, Dream could never be jealous of George.

George is George, simply put.

But enough about George, Dream needs to focus on his history test.

Dream chews on the end of his pencil, teeth scraping against wood. He sees George in the front corner of the room, avidly writing. His eyebrows are furrowed, his mouth parted slightly, a look Dream knows to be his expression of concentration.

Dream glances back at his half-filled paper, then the clock, then back at George. He really should focus, but how can he when the prettiest person is just a few seats away?

Dream wants to blame George for his inability to focus, but he knows that the low grade he'll surely see on his test will be the result of his own actions. He attempts the rest of the questions, sighing miserably.

He'll fail, he already knows, but he doesn't care. The person on his mind is more important.

The bell rings, the clang bringing Dream's shoulders to his ears in a grimace. He hands the paper in, slinging his backpack over one shoulder.

His grades will be sore, but Dream has already forgotten about the failed test.

"George!" Dream says brightly, catching up to his friend in the hallway.

George's eyes light up, a grin gracing his cheeks. "Dream! How did the test go?"

"Another fail." Dream shrugs.

George sends him a knowing look, one that harbors the same concern after every test. It's a look Dream looks forward to. He likes having George's attention.

"Dream," George scolds, not minding the student that carelessly rams into his shoulder, "were you not paying attention last night? I went over the flashcards with you."

"Yeah, but..." Dream trails off, fingers tugging through sandy hair. He knows why; George had his attention, not the flashcards. "I just don't like history."

"You say that about every subject."

"I know, I know," Dream reassures George. "Listen, we're in our last year of school, then we'll be rooming together at some university, right?" He tosses George a grin.