every statue has a heart

George has always enjoyed mythology, especially the myth of the infamous Greek goddess, Medusa. She's one of the reasons he chose mythology as one of his career paths. She's also one of the reasons George is in Greece.

or

George travels to Greece to learn more about Medusa, but instead finds one of her victims.

TWs:
Swearing
Threats of violence

Inspired by the story "Piece of Clay" by carbonbrine (on wattpad) and the song "Medusa" by Kailee Morgue :)

This oneshot isn't entirely accurate in terms of mythology and history, but I did research some things, so hopefully it makes sense.

Enjoy <3

--------

George loves his job. He gets to travel and learn about the earliest of myths while getting paid.

Currently, he's on a plane to Greece. His destination is Cisthene, or modern day Meyísti located in Southern Aegean, Greece. George has never been to Greece, but he can only imagine what's in store for him.

Having majored in mythology, paleontology, and archeology, George believes he could learn a lot more in Greece than he has in England. Even with the many researchers that have preceded George, he thinks he can discover something no one else has.

Or, at least he hopes so.

~

Hours later, after George landed in Greece and took a boat to the island of Meyísti, George has made it.

The island has many names: Meyísti, Kastellorizo, and Cisthene. Cisthene is what George is looking for, the island where Medusa is supposed to be resided. Many researchers before George have believed that Cisthene is located more east in Greece, but George thinks it's here, in Meyísti.

It has to be. He hasn't spent his entire life researching for nothing.

The island ports aren't very populated, and George makes it through the city on foot with ease. He walks for hours, having arrived in the early hours of the morning, and makes it to the small forests on the southwest side of the island.

His backpack is a heavy weight on his back, but George knows everything it contains is necessary. The sky is a muted grey, clouds block the sun, and a refreshing wind tugs its way through George's hair.

He walks for two more hours, his terrain boots kicking at dirt as his spirits slowly drop. The coast is only a short distance away, George can taste the salt of the sea on his tongue as he exhales. George is about to stop and set up camp when something catches his eye.

It looks like nothing at first, but with a second glance George can see a cave opening. He hopes it's something, but it probably isn't. He stills goes towards the cave, seeking shelter for some rest.

He can practically hear Sapnap nagging in his ear. "You're never going to find anything. Meyísti is a depopulated, boring island. You're better off looking for Medusa herself."

George scoffs at the memory, pulling off his backpack and setting it down. He sits against the cave wall, not going in deep, but curiosity gets the best of him. He flicks on his flashlight, peering in the cave.

Musty air blows back at him, causing George to cough. There must be an air pocket in there if wind reaches him. Deciding to check it in, George walks into the dark cave.

He doesn't walk for long, but the darkness seems to envelope him. It's eerie, and George is about to turn back when a feminine sounding hum brushes against his ears. George's eyes widen and he shakes his head, dismissing it as the wind. However, he continues into the cave.