CHAPTER 16: THE PLAN:

A/n: how ya all?! U know the recent awards that have come up (if u don't, pls check my msg board)..so I have submitted 'one night' and this book for those!
Pls keep ur fingers crossed!
And ya, take care if the pov's from now on. U might find something different!
———- ———————————
MAYNE POV:
Niall is listening with utmost attention. It's like he is already part of the case. And I'm glad. Y/n discusses the plan with all of us. I think it's a good way to proceed though. I know, I'm not really a fan of her, but still I have to admit her potential. After spending around 45 min, we decide to get a tea break for around 15 minutes. I am already exhausted from dealing with media and giving them major updates. But one thing is bringing my attention from the past 2 days.

Who the hell is Peter? And why did he beat y/n up?

I always wanted attention. I always wanted to lead the team. Be the captain. But unfortunately for me, y/n always stood in my way. She doesn't know what she did. She never knew what would happen when she messes with me. With My little sister. I feel a surge of anger bypassing me. I clench my jaw and fist, hoping no one would see.

How I tried to gain y/n's trust. How badly. Because I know, that once you gain trust of anyone, it's easy to betray them. Very much. But nope. Y/n turned out to be smarter than that. She always never gave me her full trust. In fact I don't even know complete details of the case. She trusts Lisa. But then, Lisa will never come to my terms.

Then, after losing so much hope, I found an opportunity. 1d. I can see the way her heart flutters for Niall and the others. The way she trusts them. So easily. But before Niall falls for her, I decide to take advantage.

I move towards the tea filter counter. I fill a cup of tea for myself. I see Niall waiting behind me, to fill his cup. Also, I see y/n and Lisa near the entrance, talking about something, y/n having a faint smile. And David, he's behind the board, analyzing the clues. My perfect time has arrived.

'Never knew you drink so much tea' says a voice behind me, chuckling. Niall.

I turn to view him. He has a smile on his face. Seeing me clueless, he adds 'your tea cup is overfilled.'

I quickly turn towards the counter. Oh hell! The tea is pouring on my hand. I quickly turn off the machine. 'Sorry!' I say.

He nods and moves over to the counter, now taking my spot. I decide to start the conversation.

'So, I have heard that you saved y/n's life.'
Why did he?

My fist clenches.

'Oh that was a coincidence' he says, filling his cup. 'I just happened to pass by.'

'I'm really concerned about her well-being. She lives alone, and what if that Peter guy comes again?' I ask, faking concern.

'So you know who Peter is?' Niall asks, now completely giving me attention. Damn, it is working.

'Well, not quite, seems like a personal matter to her, wouldn't like to budge in.' I say, shrugging.

'Oh, right.' He says. I can clearly see the disappointment in him.
'But, Do you want to know?' I say, moving closer to him.

A pause.

'Umm, well, not quite. I'm sure it's something personal.' He gives in. But I don't lose hope. 'I know, but I'm just so worried about her. We were in her room last night, that's why she was safe,but what about her when she lives alone? Don't you think we should find out?' I ask, carefully eyeing him.

'You know, well, you know,-' Niall struggles to say something. I know he's curios too.
'Niall, think about it. We are doing it for her safety.'

A pause again. Niall's expression changes from curiosity to determination.

'Well, you're right.' Niall sighs. 'It's for her safety.' My joy has so bounds. How easy that was. Now Niall is my puppet.

'It's a little secret between you and I, yeah?' I ask, making sure not to leak this out.

He gives up in the end. 'Ok.' He says. I nod. 'That's great!'

The break time is up, and we all head to the suspect room, only me smiling.

YOUR POV:
I observe Niall talking to Mayne in the break. That makes me feel weird. Never in my life have I seen Mayne having an interest in Niall. I mean, I thought she was in for Liam. Lisa disrupts my thoughts.

'Don't you think we are proceeding well in the case?' She asks. I turn towards her. 'Yes, at least I hope so.' A faint smile appears. I can feel a pair of eyes on me, watching me carefully. (I'm a detective, what else do you expect?) I'm sure Lisa feels it too. I give her a look like she's-creeping-onto-us and Lisa gives back a look like god-cares. I chuckle. Maybe I'm looking too good today. (I flatter a lot, don't worry). We go on ranting about all the possibilities of the culprit. And in a blink of the eye, 15 minutes up!

'Ok everyone' I suddenly say. I can see Niall jerking out of view. He breathes in heavily.
'We shall be heading now to the main place to investigate.'

They all nod. I take out my Tesla. After getting in the car, I see Mayne urging Niall to sit with her. I look at Lisa with a what's-goin-on and she says, I-srsly-don't-know.
I sigh. David sits next to me. We start off.

On reaching there in 10 minutes, I see Zayn and Harry waving to me. I smile and wave back. Lisa smiles too. 'The boys are in awe of you.' She says, slightly winking.
I flush deep. She chuckles. Niall sees me flushing. (Ugh, I'm embarrassed). He gives a cheeky grin. I get down before I get more flushed. After everyone greets me, they hug Niall.
'How was it? What were you Doing? How was the room? Were you serious there? Did you laugh?'

'Hey hey! Calm down. One at a time.' Niall says. Mayne then looks at him. A peculiar look. It feels strange to me. He turns towards them. While they all discuss, I go in, only to meet mr.Lucifer's side suspects. All of them are there, I notice. They greet me. Mrs.Lucifer still has tears in her eyes.

I go to the main desk, to see through the information again. Mrs.lucifer gets up from her seat and walks towards me. I raise my eyebrows as a sign of question.

'I need justice.' She says. I look at her.

She has dark circles, and she looks middle aged. Her dressing is simple and clean. Her mascara is smudged at the ends. Her eyes are puffed from the amount of crying. I could almost tell she isn't responsible for his death, cause she feels bad about it.
'Y/n! No emotional angles in the case'. I remind myself strictly.

'What do you mean?' I ask her.
'My husband. He died horribly. I expect justice.'
'I shall try.' Is all I say.
'My daughter asked me today morning, "where's daddy?" And I had no option but to cry in front of her. I'm broken to pieces. And I need to fix me back.' She says, breathing heavily.

I see only her. I freeze. It's like I'm going to faint anytime.

Eliot.

I stifle a gasp and move steps away from her. That was the exact dialogue. She said the same thing as Eliot's mother said to me. This has to be a coincidence. I pray hard to Jesus. Please tell me this is a dream.

'Y/n!!!' I feel hands on my shoulder, warm hands, gripping the fabric of my shirt. 'Y/n are you fine?!'.

I see Harry in front of me. Niall is behind him, looking as concerned, and the rest of the boys. Lisa comes in front and holds my wrist. 'What's wrong?' She asks. I gulp hard.
'Lisa, Lisa, Mrs.Lucifer told the same thing as—'

'Just a minute. Mrs.Lucifer has been crying since the time we came. She didn't even come to you.' Zayn adds.

I look at Zayn like he's insane. 'You kidding right?' I ask him. 'She just walked to me.'

Now everyone's gaze turns towards her. She suddenly perks up, and gulps. I know, we really creeped her out.