III

"I really hope this doesn't get infected..." I trail off looking down at my blood soaked makeshift bandage Micah made for me from the hem of his shirt. Ardyn can't help it and lets out a boisterous laugh.

"I wouldn't worry too much. Only if you start to feel very sick....then maybe you should worry."

"Thanks. Really. That's very helpful, thank you."

He laughs again at my sarcasm before bringing an arm around my shoulder in casual Dry Lander greeting.

"Trust me. That boy-" He points up ahead to Micah walking briskly forward, stopping every so often to listen and look around for human tracks. Resembling a blood hound. In some ways he was.

"-Takes his promises very seriously. Especially now with you."

"Why now with me?" I question up at him as he ruffles my hair and moves back to my side.

"He made his promise to you into a blood promise. That means no matter what happens or who gets in his way, he will see that promise through."

"D-Do you think it's only because I'm a prince that he did that? Can we really trust him? If what you said about him to be true then why would he trust the Sky Lanes? He said so before he doesn't want to return to his past life. What has changed?" I question as I look over at Micah with a frown. Wondering if he felt that he didn't have a choice when I told him who I was. Almost like he did it out of obligation-

"Ow." I whine as I look up at Ardyn who slapped me harshly on the back.

"Don't think that way. We can't afford to think like that Rian. The boy is giving up his own life to protect you and you doubt his loyalty to you?"

"I mean..." I say before sighing and looking up at a frowning Ardyn. "What happens after his bond to me is complete? Will he just leave-"

"Rian." Ardyn sighs as he stops in his track and places a hand on my shoulders, stopping me.

"I'm sorry to have let this go on for so long but I need to address something. I'm afraid if I don't, it will affect you in the future."

"Okay?"

He bites his lip in contemplation. Trying to figure out how to put his thoughts into words. It must be a delicate subject.

"It is okay to depend on others but you need to figure out when the time comes to let your hold of that person go and become your own person." Ardyn explains to me softly and I frown at that as I look up at him.

"Don't depend on anyone but myself. Got it-" I say as I go to move forward but Ardyn stops me.

"No." He says seriously looking down at me. "No that is not what I meant. I want you to be able to live your life, not in the shadow of another. In time, you need to learn to make decisions for yourself and eventually for others too. Your confidence will shape you and bravery, define you."

I take his words in and nod at him in somewhat understanding. He pats my cheek with a smile and we continue on. It's not long after when the sun begins to set and having walked a full day that Micah stops ahead, waiting for us to catch up to him as he turns to us.

"We can rest here for tonight."

Shortly after setting up and gathering firewood for the campfire, I bring a hand up to my shoulder to massage it, noticing it was slightly tense.

"Is there a river close by?" I ask and Ardyn and Micah turn to me. Ardyn brings a hand up over his neck in thought as Micah nods at me.

"Why? Are you hurt?" He questions and I shake my head at him.