XVII

We kept moving forward. The others running through the woods and past the inner gates before we could get to the outer gate. Memories of the time I was shot by David with an arrow and nearly bleeding out on the forest floor would run through my mind, bringing a pulsing headache along with them.

It also made me realise that this was Raya's first time out since she was a child, having been cooped up indoors for the majority of her life. I couldn't imagine staying in that place for so long let alone the time that we did spend there, it was miniscule in comparison.

Micah started to slow down and it gave me an indication that we must be coming to our destination. My theory being proven when I hear Tatiyana and Peter scream at Raya and Dream. Micah helps me down to the ground.

"Thank the Gods you're okay." Tatiyana breathes out in relief as she envelopes Raya in a hug. Peter ruffling Dream's hair before bringing him in for a hug.

I look around me as I walk slowly towards them, completely silenced and in awe of what I was seeing before me.

Soldiers. Lots of them all looking at me, muttering to their neighbour as I walked and I gulped as I realised what they were looking at.

Tatiyana and Peter come forward then and it's only when Tatiyana rests a reassuring hand on my forearm that I turn to her, eyes tired. She scans my face with tight lipped concern before bringing a hand up to my neck, her eyes landing on the puncture holes. I wince when she touches them and she moves her hand to my shoulder.

"Rian...I'm so sorry we didn't get to you sooner..." She whispers sadly and I give her a small reassuring smile.

"I'm okay, really." I say tiredly. "I'm glad you both are safe."

She doesn't hesitate to bring me in for a hug, clutching me close and I let out a relieved sigh as I bring my hands weakly up around her back. Peter running a soft hand over my back in comfort and he turns to Micah.

"Thank you Micah." He says sincerely. "Thank you for finding him and getting him out safely."

Micah doesn't say anything and I presume he nods as I pull back from Tatiyana. Raya and Dream smiling as I turn to them. I notice Alexei coming up beside them, earpiece and gun in hand. Uniform in pristine condition as he turns looking around him to the chattering soldiers, silencing them with his next words.

"Everyone listen up!" He screams at the soldiers causing their laughter and chat to die down as each of them turn to him patiently.

"You have spent years protecting the Descendants behind concrete walls. Now it is time to put all of your skills to use and protect them in the real world." Alexei states seriously and I take the opportunity to look out at the soldiers gathered. I spotted Timotei, Dean and the red haired twins Noah and Glen gathered not too far away from him.

"Everyone meet Rian Angelov."

Alexei says loudly to the crowd as he moves to the side where he was blocking the soldiers' view of me. As he turns to look at my wide eyed state, his lips tug upward.

"Your future king of Gonora."

I gulp at that as I look out at the crowd who seemed to be looking at me intently as they muttered to one another. I turn to Alexei worriedly as I take a step back.

"You all have chosen a historical path..." Alexei continues making the chatter die down once again as the soldiers turn their gazes away from me to look at him. Their leader.

"One that not all of your fellow brothers and sisters have chosen. By the swords you wield and guns you fire, you all will now dedicate your life in protecting his." Alexei nods in my direction as he moves to walk behind me.