~8~

Jeanlisa

Today, Lisa was in a good mood. She had managed to convince the hardworking Jean to help her do things in the library. It sounded like more work but it was actually to get Jean out of work.

'Helping doing things' in the library actually meant hanging out and talking. They haven't had many opportunities to do that since Jean was always overworking herself.

Jean was always helping others out and not helping herself. On top of that she had taken more subjects and thus had heaps more schoolwork. She kept on studying to keep her perfect grades up as well. Her physical state rapidly went down.

Lisa was concerned about her. After talking to Barbara she found out that it was a common occurrence for her to pass out. This was not ok. So she had planned to force her to have a break while also preparing for something else.

After school they headed to the library. The walk there was quiet since most students had already left. Jean talked about her day while Lisa half listened. She was playing the plan in her mind to make sure she hadn't missed anything.

They walked inside and greeted the librarian who smiled at them and winked at Lisa when Jean wasn't looking. Lisa smirked at her and winked back. She then focused her attention back on Jean.

"Let's sort out the returned books and put them back on the shelves. Since you don't know how the books are sorted and it's a little complicated, I'll put the books away. All you need to do is put the books in piles based on the genre. There's stickers on the spines that say the genre."

Jean laughed, "I thought you wouldn't like having stickers on books."

"I don't. The stickers aren't directly on the books they're on this stuff that can peel off."

Jean smiled clearly amused at her serious response. She then agreed and quickly started her task. In mere seconds, she was completely focused.

Lisa found her focused look weirdly attractive and occasionally peered at her from between the bookshelves. She carefully slid books into their proper places. Books were her passion so she made sure they were in the best condition.

However, she couldn't control how others' treated the books since they were library books. One time someone had accidentally spilled a drop of tea on a book. After they had returned it Lisa started to read it. When she discovered the stain, she tracked the teenager down.

What came next was a sight to behold. She had almost lost her librarian's assistant position. Since that day no one even slightly damaged a book. They were treated with so much care that not even a page was crinkled. Some students who were more accident prone had even went and bought a new copy of the book they had accidentally damaged to disguise it as the library book.

Some people also tended to forget to return their books in time. Something as simple as that turned Lisa into a frightening creature. Students had horror stories about it.

The work was soon finished. It was a simple task and Jean and Lisa were quick workers. There also weren't many books they had had to go through. The librarian, who had disappeared somewhere during this and was quite capable of doing this work herself, brought out a plate of snacks.

"A reward for your hard work," she said and placed the plate on one of the tables meant to be used for studying.

Usually, food wasn't allowed in the library. Lisa was strict about this rule like she was for all the others. Certain special people who she trusted to not spill anything had privileges though and herself and Jean were at the top of the list.

"Thank you," Jean replied as she grabbed a cookie.

Lisa took a sip of her tea and studied the other girl. She was making sure that she actually ate the food. Jean had a tendency to forget to eat when working and decline thank you gifts. Thankfully she didn't do that this time.

"Are there any other jobs you'd like us to do?" Jean asked.

"Oh no," the librarian dismissed then with a chuckle added, "Lisa wouldn't be able to deal with the overdue books."

The food was soon gone completely. Jean and Lisa were left to clean up since the librarian had left a little while ago. After doing that, they exited the library.

Lisa hummed then spoke up, "How about you stay the night at mine? It is getting quite late after all."

Jean glanced at the sky then at her watch. "It is," she agreed then after some thought added, "Yeah I'll stay over. Let me just text my mum."

Her mum responded quickly saying that it was ok. They walked to Lisa's car and were at her house shortly after.

As soon as they walked in the door the scent of a delicious dish hit their noses. They walked to the dining room and saw three boxes of pizza. The logo on the boxes signalled that it was from Cat's Tail.

Jean's mouth was practically watering at the sight. She loved Cat's Tail pizza, it was her favourite food. This arrangement was not a coincidence. Lisa had convinced her mum to buy it for Jean. She wanted her to enjoy herself. Also if the plan went wrong then at least there would be some good times and maybe their friendship wouldn't be utterly destroyed. She tried not to dwell on that.

After eating, which Jean repeatedly thanked them for, the two girls headed to Lisa's room. Lisa immediately walked to her wardrobe and pulled out some pyjamas before placing them on her bed.

"Feel free to have a shower whenever you like."

Jean nodded then looked around the room. No matter how many times she went there she could never quite get used to how beautiful it was. 

The walls were pretty much blocked out by bookshelves that reached the ceiling. Strings of fairy lights and fake roses hung above their heads. A comfy reading chair with a stack of books next to it was positioned by a mahogany desk with a lamp at the corner.Lisa's bed was extremely purple and was filled with pillows.

"I'll go for one now," she said then picked up the clothes and left.

While she was gone Lisa went through what she wanted to say. She had to make sure it was perfect. She also had to mentally prepare herself so she could actually say the words and confess.

A/N I'm extremely sorry for the ridiculously slow update! After the last update I was busy playing Genshin Impact for the rest of my holidays. Then school started again and my motivation was completely gone. I'll be able to update more regularly now.