~12~

Xiaoven

Xiao spent every hour eagerly awaiting for lunch so he could see Venti again. At breakfast he ate with an uncharacteristic smile on his face. He was thinking about how perfect Venti was and how lucky he was that he got to sit with someone as beautiful as him.

His parents gave him questioning looks. They were glad that he was happy but confused at what had caused this emotion. There wasn't much that he was happy about.

Ganyu smiled at him in understanding then yawned. She returned to sleepily eating her toast and studying.

"Are you smiling because of that boy you were talking to yesterday?" Qiqi asked as she stared at her brother.

It was silent for a moment before she continued speaking. "Qiqi saw you talking to him yesterday and wrote it down because he made you really happy."

"Who is this boy?" Xiao's dad asked with a grin and raised eyebrows.

"Is he cute?" his mum smirked.

"His name is Venti and yes he is... cute," he reluctantly admitted with blush on his cheeks. He stood up from the table and announced that he was leaving so he could get away from this embarrassing conversation.

Shortly after, he arrived at school. It was way earlier than people usually got there. Xiao liked it though since he wasn't exactly a people person. Being around so many people for six hours was tiring.

He walked through the halls wondering where he should sit. He would go to the library but it usually wasn't open at this time. He wandered aimlessly for a while listening to MCR before turning a corner and coming face to face with Venti.

"OH!" he exclaimed and took a step back.

Xiao gasped in surprise and felt his face go hot as he remembered the conversation topic from earlier. 

"Are you ok, Xiao? Your face is very red," Venti asked in concern.

He turned even more red and responded, "I'M FINE."

"Oh! You've got a leaf in your hair," he giggled as he leaned close and plucked it out.

He smelt sweet like apples and flowers. His skin was soft and wanted him to run his fingers through his hair and caress him softly as he lulled him to sleep with his music. It was embarrassing though and Xiao didn't know if he wanted him to stay close or get the hell away. He was frozen in shock.

He looked away while Venti remained blissfully ignorant. Xiao started walking and the other hurried to keep up. As they walked around without a particular destination in mind, Venti rambled on about random topics.

The bell rang and he blinked in surprise. They had been aimlessly walking around for ages. Xiao had been distracted by the sound of Venti's voice. 

He spun on his heel and walked in the opposite direction they had been walking in before. Venti turned his head to watch him and waved.

"I'll see you at lunch!"

Xiao nodded and quickly walked to class. His heart was beating faster than normal and butterflies were making a home out of his stomach. He slammed his head against the wall then entered the classroom.

After mediocre classes it was finally lunch. Xiao was scared, nervous and excited at the same time. He sat in his chair for a while then took a breath and exited.

He walked to the table where he usually ate and saw that Zhongli was already sitting there. He looked around the area and wondered if he should go and get Venti.

"Who are you looking for?" Zhongli asked.

Xiao stiffened at the question and muttered, "It's no one, just Venti. He's going to eat with us today."

"Oh."

He smiled upon noticing the blush on his cheeks and how he was semi-frantically searching. Xiao, sensing that something was amiss, turned to face him. He frowned at the smile on his friend's face.

"Then I shall sit with Childe today."

"Wait, no, don't go, Zhongli!" he called out but the other was already walking away.

He was watching him miserably when someone sat down beside him. Awkawardly, he turned around to see Venti beaming at him. He was practically blinded. 

"Hey, Xiao!" he greeted.

"Uh, hello, Venti."

At first it was awkward but they slowly grew more relaxed and comfortable with each other. Venti mainly talked and Xiao was content with just watching him and absently eating almond tofu. 

Some time passed and the two were now close friends. Each day they spent with each other Xiao found himself loving Venti more and more. It was hard keeping it a secret and he was almost desperate to just blurt out his feelings.

What stopped him was the thought of rejection  and their friendship being ruined. He was worried that they would go back to just being kids who went to school together. Nothing more and certainly it would turn to much, much less.

"I can't believe I haven't played for you," Venti was saying one day as they walked to the music room, "I'll play you a song but it'll cost you an apple!"

"That's a lot of apples," Xiao responded without thinking.

They both stopped walking and looked at each other. One in confusion and the other in embarrassment. 

"What do you mean?" Venti asked with a slight colour to his cheeks because of the implication.

"Well, uh, I've sort of secretly watched you play music and that's kind of how I... fell in love...with you."

It was silent for a moment. Venti's lips parted in surprise and his face turned bright red. Xiao looked about the same.

"No, no, no, no I didn't mean to say that!"

"Come to my performance tomorrow," Venti whispered out of the blue.

His phone rang and he hurriedly answered it, thankful for the interruption. It was his mum telling him that he needed to get home. He turned to say bye to Venti but he was already gone.

A/N I promise I have a legitimate reason for updating late! I've been working on a novel I'm writing.It was originally a short story for my English assessment but my teacher and I liked it so much that I'm writing more. My fanfics seem really cringey compared to this novel. I've also been working on trying to get Hu Tao with no luck and have had no motivation...