~9~

Dainsleif x Aether

Aether fidgeted with his hands and glanced across him at Dainsleif otherwise known as the guy that he was madly in love with. They were currently in class but the only things he could think about were him and how he would hint at his crush on him.

He thought that hinting at it would be better than outright confessing. One, he was too nervous to actually say it. Two, if Dainsleif didn't feel the same way then he could just pretend that those hints didn't mean anything romantically.

Aether was sure that he would get the hints. After all Dain was a very smart guy. He was getting straight A's. He also seemed very observant based on what he told Aether and Lumine on their first day.

It had been ages since then and Aether was surprised at how much time had already gone by. It felt like only yesterday he had marvelled at Dain and all his beauty for the first time. Then again he did that everyday.

The bell rang interrupting his thoughts. Dainsleif stood up and turned to Aether who was hurriedly packing away his things. He stood up at last and smiled at the other. Together, they left the classroom and went to get lunch.

"Did you bring lunch?" Aether asked.

"I didn't. I was just going to buy some." 

They talked as they made their way over to the tuckshop and joined the line. Dain ordered first then stepped slightly to the side so Aether could order while his food was being grabbed. The food was all pre-made so it only needed to be placed inside a paper bag.

The two received their food at around the same time since Dain had ordered a slushie that had to be made. The lady serving them asked for the money and Aether hurriedly handed over enough to pay for them both before his friend could stop him.

As they left the line and walked over to a table Dain said, "You didn't have to pay for me."

"I wanted to," Aether replied and he sat down.

They were soon joined by Lumine. She had been further down the line when the other two were at the front and had noticed her brother pay for the other's food. "You don't normally pay for other people," she stated, her tone teasing, "Aren't you all about saving the little money you actually have, poor person?"

Aether blushed at that and glanced at Dainsleif before responding, "Don't act as if you're so rich. Besides, Dain is different."

Dainsleif was about to ask how he was different but the twins had already started a new conversation topic. They were complaining about their classes. Lumie was particularly upset that she was in a group project with the most flirtatious pair of 'friends' in the whole school. She was a third wheel and had to listen to them swoon about each other while doing the most work.

He made a mental note to ask his question later and continued eating. Occasionally he would participate in their conversations but he was more of a listener than a talker. He would observe the students around him and sometimes even stare at Aether. His observations were what had made him known by everyone as knowing the most tea.

Aether flopped onto his bed and groaned into his pillow. The school week had just ended and despite all of his hints Dainsleif didn't seem like he knew about his love for him.

It was annoying. He had tried everything he could think of. He had bought him gifts, complimented him, helped him with things and even did some slight physical contact. He had even thought about turning to wikiHow but decided that he wasn't that desperate.

Lumine walked into their shared room with a chuckle. She sat down on her own bed and rolled her eyes at her brother's antics when he groaned again. "I can't believe you've fallen for someone this oblivious."

"He's not!"

Lumine gave him a look that said 'really?' then deadpanned, "Of course he's not."

"What do I do, Lumine?"

"Just confess."

"Like you did that for any of your crushes," Aether glared at her.

"Well, none of my crushes have been as dense as yours. I mean seriously, for someone who's so observant he really is oblivious."

"Stop saying that."

Lumine sighed and she spoke in a softer tone, "Go for it. I think he likes you back. Even if he doesn't he isn't the type to just stop being friends with you. I can tell he cares about you whether it's platonic or romantic."

"Thanks," he smiled and felt better from her words.

When he was hit in the face with a stuffed animal, however, all thoughts of her kindness were gone. He leaped at her with a pillow and just missed landing on top of her when she rolled away. Their maybe too violent pillow fight began as they screamed at each other.

That night Aether stayed up thinking about what his sister had said. He debated over and over whether or not he would actually confess. Finally, he decide that he would. The thought of doing it terrified him but it would be worth it to get it off his chest. Dainsleif might even feel the same way.

After coming to this decision he thought about how he would do it. He knew he wouldn't get any sleep if he didn't have an at least vague idea of what he was going to do. It didn't take long before Aether settled on a plan. With a yawn, he texted his crush asking if he was free on Saturday afternoon.

He didn't think he'd respond so he was about to put his phone away when Dainsleif sent back yes. Too tired to talk much, Aether sent when and where they were going to meet then added a heart as a final hint before the big day. 

Aether sat on a picnic blanket waiting for Dainsleif to arrive. He was sweating a little and his heart was beating faster than normal. Beside him was some flowers that he had bought for the other and all around him were the decorations he had set up.

There were fairy lights hanging above as well as flowers that acted as a sort of natural decoration. There was plenty of food for their picnic and some soft drink. Music played quietly as well. 

Soon there were footsteps heard announcing that Dainselif had arrived. "Hello, Aether," he greeted then looked around at the setup, "It looks beautiful."

"Thank you," Aether blushed and scooted over so the other would have some more room.

They talked for a while then ate the food. It was delicious for some cheap stuff that Aether had picked up from the store. He was capable of making it all himself and would have if he had had the time.

"I like you," he suddenly announced then thought about what Lumine said and added, "Romantically."

Dainsleif paused then stared at him. No one has ever confessed to him before and he certainly did not expect for Aether to. Gradually, his cheeks turned red as he continued to stare.

Awkwardly, he leaned over and hugged him. He was silent for a moment before he whispered into the other's ear, "I like you too."

Aether turned bright red at that as a shiver went down his spine from the warm voice and breath on his ear. He hugged him back and let out a relieved sigh. A smile formed on his lips.

"I really like you," Dainsleif emphasised making the other turn even redder.

Aether moved his head slightly then hesitantly kissed his cheek. The other pulled back from the hug then cupped his cheeks. They stared into each other's eyes for a moment before Dainsleif connected their lips in a soft, loving kiss.