04. Saturday May 31, 2014

"Katie, come on!" Luke chuckles, as he helps sneak Katie out of her house.

"Shhh!"

"Sorry!" He whispers, as they rush to his car, hand in hand.

Katie never really got in much trouble when sneaking around, whenever she's been caught, her parents just expect more help from her with her siblings for a little while. Sneaking around was fun, and her punishments weren't awful, so it was worth it to her.

When the two are in his car, Luke reaches over and gives Katie's thigh a quick, gentle squeeze, before both his hands are on the wheel, driving them to Ashton's.

"I know we were joking about it, but I don't want there to be a drinking competition tonight." Katie tells him. As much fun as it could be, Luke's moods this week have been very hot and cold. Drinking would really just send Luke down a bad path.

He laughs, it almost sounds bitter. "I think we should."

Katie shakes her head, "I don't think so, Luke. We should just chill tonight."

Luke chuckles, this time it definitely sounds bitter. "I'm drinking, a lot, tonight."

Deciding to give up, Katie just sighs and nods. She knew Luke just wanted to drown out the awful week he had with alcohol, but she didn't want him to do that.

When they arrive at the party, Luke pulls Katie into the kitchen so they can both make drinks.

"Luke, I'm serious. I don't want to drink a lot tonight."

"Then don't. I will." Luke tells her, mixing himself a whiskey drink.

Katie sighs, just grabbing a beer before walking off. She just didn't want to be around Luke right now, and she knew the second he started drinking his mood would turn sour.

Luke watches Katie as she goes to sit with Calum, scooting closer to him so that they can hear each other over the music and the crowd of people talking. Luke hated when Katie was alone with any of the other boys. He didn't want any of them to try anything with her. She was off limits, and they knew that.

She was his best friend. He was the one that was always there for her, not them. He's the one that gets to spend intimate moments with her, not them. He was the one with feelings for her, not them.

Luke realizes he's finished his drink, and goes to make himself another to distract him from the thoughts he's currently having.

"Slow down, man." Michael laughs, watching Luke pour almost a full cup of whiskey, with only a splash of soda to go with it.

"Why?"

"That's basically all Jack." Michael laughs, referring to the Jack Daniels Luke just poured. However, Luke winces at the name. He wasn't even paying close enough attention to the bottle to realize it.

"What?"

"Nothing." Luke mutters, before gulping down almost half the cup he just poured.

Luke's left alone in the kitchen as he tries to take deep breaths to keep his mind off Jack. Not the whiskey. His brother Jack.

Yeah, Luke was drinking a lot, but he's had a long week, he didn't give a fuck if he drank himself sick. You'd think after what happened with Jack he'd hate drinking, but the fact his brother died when Luke was only ten, the alcohol was there to drown it out.

After their dad left, Jack started hanging around with the wrong crowd. One night, Jack and his friends were playing around on old abandoned train tracks, that were on a bridge. It was a usual spot for kids to hang out to hide away from their parents or any authority figure. One of the boys had beer from their older brother. Jack had too much, and when they were goofing around, Jack fell. Of course it was unexpected, especially for Luke, who was a couple months shy from his tenth birthday.

The memory of hearing the story for the first time sends shivers throughout Luke's body, and he finishes off the rest of his drink as if that would be any help.

Shaking his head as if it would rid the thoughts of his brother, he quickly stumbles to the counter again. He pours himself another half a glass of the light brown liquid, sighing as he does so. Without a thought he swallows all the contents of the cup, coughing as he places the empty cup back on the counter.

"Luke? Are you okay?" Ashton asks, as he walks into the kitchen, with Katie trailing behind him.

"Fuck off." Luke mutters, before opening beer.

Luke wanders off, and Ashton turns to look at Katie. "What the fuck is wrong with him?"

Katie sighs, knowing she has to remind these boys what time of the year it is. "The anniversary of Jack was a few days ago. He's been off ever since."

"Oh, shit. I fucking forgot."

"So did I. I was with him that day and triggered something in him. I don't know how to snap him out of this mood."

"The drinking isn't going to help!" Ashton exclaims.

"I fucking know that, Ashton! It makes him worse! We can't do anything about it now!" Katie groans, too drunk to deal with any of this right now.

"Go distract him. Make out with him or something."

"Now why the fuck would I do that?" Katie asks, looking up at Ashton. As much as she'd love to, she's not going to admit to their friends her and Luke have done that multiple times.

Ashton pulls her farther into the kitchen, and she rolls her eyes as he does so. He lowers his voice before speaking. "I fucking know you two hook up. You two freaks fucked in my spare room and left the condom wrapper behind."

Katie blushes, immediately looking down to the floor.

"I'm not going to tell the guys, I'm not even going to tell Luke I know, that's for you to decide. Take him to the spare room and try to talk to him. If he won't talk, make out with him. Get his mind off this shit." Ashton says,

Katie nods, "I guess I'm drunk enough to do that, yeah."

She takes another shot before going over to see Luke. He's sitting alone, staring at the floor with his half empty beer in his hand. Katie just grabs his free hand, pulling him into Ashton's spare room.

"What are you doing, Kat?" Luke slurs, as the pair sit down on the edge of the bed.

She shrugs, "I just wanna talk."

"I don't. I want to drink so much to the point I pass out."

"Let's just go to sleep then, okay?" Katie says, gently grabbing the beer bottle from Luke's hand. He's so drunk that he doesn't even notice.

Katie helps Luke up, and moves the sheets so that Luke can get into the bed. She climbs in with him, curling up with him.

"Goodnight, Kat. You're the best best friend ever."