epilogue

gif above made by scarsandstarss <3

*

It had been six months since the War against Abnegation.

At first, people had been confused and almost wary of both Dauntless and Erudite for their actions until another member of Erudite - a man who had worked just underneath Jeanine - came forward to give his statement.

The rebuilding of trust took time. Amity and Abnegation were more cautious than Candor, though the truthful faction kept their distance until finally everything began to run together again.

Factions fused together more than ever, members leaving their own to visit old friends and family. New leadership roles were decided in Erudite and Abnegation, the two factions sitting together to decide how to move on from the past.

And Divergents, while people were still wary of them, were no longer considered a threat.

Ana was still a leader of Dauntless and she settled into her position quickly once the War was over. Eric was beside her the whole time, helping her with things that she still needed to learn.

She was happy with her life in Dauntless, happy to be around her friends and preparing to help train the new initiates when the time came.

Of course, now with the factions interacting more than ever, Ana made time to see her own family and Naomi.

They met in Amity most of the time, everyone happy to enjoy the open air and peaceful environment. Eric and Jacob joined the girls sometimes, the two men getting along easily.

Eric seemed more at peace in the Amity fields more than Ana had ever seen him in the compounds of Dauntless. He laughed easier there, his eyes adorned with smile lines and his shoulders relaxed.

He got along with her parents and Chandler well, the three of them easily infusing Eric into their family. Chandler treated him like his own big brother, tackling and playing with him every time he came around.

Even now, as Chandler ran towards Eric, the older man caught him, laughing as he fell onto his back. Ana watched them with a smile as her mother played with her hair and Naomi laughed.

Jacob and Ana's father stood not too far away, both picking and eating the fruits they had just harvested.

"Everything seems to have worked out now." Ana's mother said, her fingers lightly twisting blonde strands of hair. "He seems happy here."

"He does." Ana agreed, giggling when Eric faked a wince after Chandler punched him.

"Reminds me of an old friend when I was younger." She continued. "The toughest and meanest looking boy in the faction, but a total sweetheart. I believe he transferred to Abnegation. A shock to his entire family."

Ana frowned. It wasn't uncommon for Amity to transfer to Abnegation after their tests. "Why were they disappointed?"

Ana's mother laughed. "They believed he was the next great leader of Dauntless."

Ana whipped around, both her and Naomi staring at the woman with wide eyes. "Mom, were you Dauntless?"

"I was." She nodded, an amused grin on her face. She untangled her fingers from Ana's hair, moving to brush her thumb over Ana's cheek. "I saw it in you from a young age and I knew you'd end up there eventually. And you've excelled."

Ana breathed a laugh. "I can't believe you never told me."

"You didn't need to know." She shrugged. "You're where you belong now, Ana."

Her mother was right. Ana had known it all along, that Dauntless was where she was meant to be. Excelling in her initiation had been her priority and she had made friends along the way, helped change their society for the better.

And she had met Eric along the way.

Naomi bumped Ana's shoulder with her own and Ana looked to see her friend smiling at her. Ana smiled back, her heart swelling with warmth and love. Eric looked over then, his smile bright as he held Chandler close to him, the boy laughing in his arms.

Changes were still on the horizon, that much was clear. But Ana was prepared to tackle whatever came her way, as long as she had her family and Eric by her side.

*** 

A cheesy and short ending to this book!

I really enjoyed writing Ana's character and her relationship with Eric (+others) throughout this short story.

I hope you all enjoyed reading and I thank every single one of you who took the time to read this book.

Much love to you all
pleuvoirx