Bull With Many Heads

"What the fuck was that?!" The commanders voice echoes through the hall, past where Chris and most of squad are sitting.

The only one not among them is Kira.

"I don't give a flying fuck! Bring that human in here right now!"

A few moments later the door opens.

"Hey, Chris, could you come here real quick?" Kira asks, timidly.

Chris stands up and walks into the office where Dictator Pressley is waiting for them.

"I have a few questions for you." The man says, glaring at Chris.

Chris just looks him in the eye.

"First of all, how does the enemy have the same gear as you?" Pressley asks, obviously trying to not shout again.

"Don't know." Chris replies.

"Bullshit!" Pressley immediately responds.

"With all due respect sir. I have no idea how Eden got their hands on gear like that." Chris says.

"Speaking of. How did you even know who those guys were? Have you perhaps got any prior connection to the Eden organisation?" Dictator Pressley asks.

"My family has history with them." Chris replies.

"Lieutenant. You are dismissed." Pressley says, too calm.

Kira looks as if she's about to protest. But she doesn't.

Once she's gone Dictator Pressley goes on a tirade, seemingly blaming Chris for Eden showing up and complicating the mission.

When Chris is finally allowed to leave he finds that Eve is waiting for him outside of Pressley's office.

"He sounded angry." She says with a reassuring smile.

"That's an understatement. The man almost had a heart attack."

"In any case, we should get back before we're late for dinner." Eve says.

Outside Chris notices a familiar face.

"You go on ahead, I'll catch up." He tells Eve.

She looks at him, a bit confused, but does as he says anyway.

He then walks over to where Ethan is standing.

"You run away from your sister again?" Chris asks the boy.

"No. She's helping out in there. She said I'm too young to go inside." The boy replies, pointing at the medical buildings.

Chris remembers that there had been a short battle against the Eden troops, during which a large number of their soldiers got injured or killed.

"She's right. Although it'd be better if you never need to go in there." Chris replies.

And so Chris keeps the boy company while they wait for his sister to finish up.

About an hour goes by before she leaves the building.

"Hey Ethan. Sorry I took so long." Megan says to her little brother.

"Hey Chris. How long have you been out here?" She asks Chris.

"Not that long." He replies.

"An hour." Ethan suddenly says.

Megan looks a little shocked while Chris looks embarrassed.

"I suppose I should thank you for taking care of my little brother." Megan says, smiling at Chris.

"No need. He's a good kid. I enjoy talking to him." Chris replies.

"Well, sorry I can't talk more. I need to get dinner ready. Otherwise my dad will do that and he's not much of a cook." Megan says.

"I actually talked to your dad earlier. Needless to say he's not in much of a good mood." Chris explains to her.

"He's really overworked. No matter how much I tell him to rest more he just won't listen. If you ask me he worries too much." Megan replies, her eyes looking worried.

"He definitely doesn't show that side to his troops." Chris says.

"Well of course not. He would never show weakness in front of the men he's supposed to lead." She replies.

On his way to the barracks Chris thinks about what she had said.

He'd been on the verge of despising Pressley. Now he wonders if maybe he just doesn't understand the man.

"You're late! Why?" Jill asks as he approaches the building.

"Sorry. I guess you could say I was babysitting." Chris replies, flashing his most charming smile.

Jill looks surprised.

"Who were you babysitting?" She asks, not meeting his gaze.

"A small kid called Ethan." Chris responds.

"Dictator Pressley's kid? You must've met his daughter too then." Jill says, looking a bit displeased.

"Yeah. Although from your reaction I guess you don't like her very much." Chris tells Jill.

"It's not that. She's a nice girl. Anyway, we should go inside." Jill says, cutting their conversation short.

Once inside, Jill puts his dinner into the microwave before leaving to take a shower.

Once he's finished eating he decides to do the same.

With the hot water from the shower washing over him his mind drifts to their encounter with Eden. Specifically the mysterious soldier with the same gear as him.

Something about that soldier seemed oddly familiar although he couldn't place what it was.

After his shower he calls Adam to let him know about it.

Adam seems shocked by what had happened.

"I'll have to launch an investigation to figure out how they got that tech. Till then I'd suggest you keep your head down. You don't wanna startle and already cautious bull." Adam says.

"Right. How's Leon doing?" Chris asks.

"He's doing well. But I can tell he's a bit lonely, as he gets whenever you're away on a mission." Adam responds.

The two talk for a while before ending the call.

Afterwards, Chris falls back on his bed and stares at the roof.

Without him even trying his mind wanders back towards the stranger who attacked him.

Why does he feel like he already knows this person?

With that thought in his head he falls asleep.

Meanwhile on a different part of the base, five figures covered in shadow are conversing.

"Shit. That deal was very important." The first man says.

"What else should we have done? We can't exactly stop these guys from operating. Did you forget their an experimental unit?" A second one replies.

"What's so experimental about them anyway? All I see are a bunch of bitches and a human getting in our way." The first one asks.

"Of couse you don't know shit. Take my advice, read their bio's before underestimating them."A third person says.

After some more arguments the group disperses into the shadows in which they dwell.