A New Ally

On his way to see Max, Chris gets a bad feeling. For some reason the helicopter he's flying in no longer feels safe.

Suddenly the chopper's lock on warning starts screaming in his ears. The pilot tries to evade, but since the chopper doesn't have any flares he is unsuccessful. A moment later the tail rotor is shot out and they are sent spinning.

Chris braces himself moments before they crash. Everything goes black in an instant.

When he opens his eyes he immediately notices that it is dark. Looking around he sighs with relief when he realises that nothing set on fire.

The next thing he does is check for any broken bones or lacerations. Finding none he crawls to the front of the chopper.

There he finds the pilot. The pilot looks fine. The only thing missing is his head.

Chris manages to crawl out of the shattered windshield without cutting himself. Outside he hears the sound of gunfire and explosions.

"Talk about shit hitting the fan." He says to nobody in particular. Looking around him he sees the corpses of fallen soldiers. He walks over to the nearest group of soldiers and kneeling down he inspects them. His eyes narrow as he recognises the insignia on their uniforms. It's the Sin faction of Eden. 

He then walks over to the forces they were fighting. Their insigina shocks him to his core. They are also from Eden. But these guys are from the Serpent faction. 

"Does this mean they're fighting amongst themselves?" He thinks, wondering what the implications of this could be. 

Putting it aside for the time being he bends down and grabs the weapons the fallen soldiers are using. He grabs an IWI Tavor X95, M9 Berreta as well as Steyr SSG 69 as well as some ammo for each. 

He then sets off for Max's last known location. He uses the back alleys to avoid unnecessary conflict while hiding from enemy patrols.  Luckily he had memorized the most updated maps of the area beforehand. This meant that even when he ran into debris blocking his preffered path he could always find another.

Due to his slow pace as well as skirting around areas with heavy combat he doesn't reach her apartment building till more than an hour has gone by. 

As he is approaching the building he sees a man with a sniper rifle peer out of a window. As Chris is still raising his weapon at him a shot rings out! At the same time the man's head explodes! Chris instinctively takes cover behind the nearest wall.

He had just been out in the open and was a perfect target for whoever took that shot. Yet they chose to only shoot the Eden soldier? And it clearly had nothing to do with accuracy as that man had only his head exposed. The logical conclusion was that the mystery sniper was a friendly. 

Not wanting to take any chances he looks for a different route, but the only other path open was back where he came from. And that would take even longer than this one. Besides he'd need to leave his cover to get there. Deciding to trust his gut he takes a deep breath and steps out of cover.

The shot he was expecting to take his life never came. It reminded him of a saying he once heard: If you hear a sniper's shot, it wasn't meant for you. Sure enough the bullet's in this sniper's gun were not meant for him. Emboldened he struts towards the front door. He even takes the elevator up as a cocky smirk spreads across his face.

Once he reaches the floor on which Max's apartment is found on he leaves the elevator and heads straight to her door. A door he finds unlocked. 

"You here Max?" He asks, walking into her apartment. Just as he does this he feels someone yank his shirt. This person also locks lips with him. By the softness of the lips he assumes it's a girl, a girl who shoves her tongue down his throat. When she pulls away he sees that it's Max. From her expressionless face one would never guessed that she'd forced a deep kiss.

"Not exactly the welcome I expected but I guess we'll talk about it later." He sees, to which Max nods.

"No fair, you said I could do it." Melissa says with a pout. 

"You're here too?" Chris asks confused.

"You don't sound too happy to see me?" Melissa comments.

"No, I am happy. Just caught off guard." He replies, trying to fix his mistake.

"Now now, quarrel another time. First you need to get out of here." A mysterious voice says. Then, from out of the shadows, a man walks. He's old and wrinkly with young eyes and a warm smile. But the thing that surprises Chris is that this man, was human!

"The fuck?!" Chris replies, raising his gun at the man. Immediately someone else appears, holding a knife to his throat. It's the ninja who attacked them on their first op! And she was as short as a little girl.

"Please Chris, we can explain. Put down your gun. Please." Melissa pleads.

What will Chris do? Find out next time on Dragon Fur Z!