Ruin (Season Finale)

"So wait, you actually said that?" Chris asks through his laughter.

"Sure did. Said it to his face and when his wife asked me what I had said I said it to her too." Pressley replies.

The three boys are on their way back from a fishing trip at the lake.

"You know Pressley, I gotta say. I wasn't expecting to enjoy myself around you. No offence but you're a real hard ass most of the time." Chris says, smiling at the older man.

"The Dictator is needed to earn and keep the respect of my men. It's why they follow me. But I am also a father of two beautiful children." Pressley tells Chris.

Just then Megan shows up.

"Honestly I'm just happy you're starting to show your softer side around Chris." She says, causing her father's relaxed expression to immediately look like someone just rammed a stick up his ass.

Unfortunately the four of them can't enjoy themselves for too long.

Just then a large, bear man grabs Ethan and starts running.

Without even thinking both Chris and Pressley immediately sprint after him, leaving Megan to call the authorities.

As he runs Chris thinks he hears someone say "impatient idiot", but he temporarily puts the thought away.

Normally Pressley would be significantly faster than Chris since he is an Anima.

But for some reason Chris not only catches up but outruns Pressley at speeds that are clearly not Human.

Chris follows the man through the lobby, jumping clear over the front counter.

The man runs up the stairs in order to get away, but Chris jumps on the railing and launches himself up, flight per flight, in order to decrease the gap.

Before long they reach the top floor of the hotel where Chris follows the man into a room.

Chris runs in just in time to see the man use the balcony to reach the room. Without hesitation Chria folllows.

On the roof he sees that the man is cornered on the edge. Slowly Chris approaches him.

"Give me the kid." Chris says.

"Nah. I can't do that." The man replies. Chris recognises him as one of the men he'd overheard that night.

"Oh yeah, why not?" Chris asks.

"Mah employers yah see. They won't be happy if I don't give em what they want." The man explains as he glances between Chris and the edge of the roof.

Just then both Pressley and Megan show up on the roof. Chris realises that Megan didn't call the authorities but followed them.

"Is that so. Why do they want the kid?" Chris asks.

"Haha. Why'd they tell me. Imma grunt. Speakin of. Since I failed I guess I'll be caught in the crossfire now." The man says.

Suddenly he puts Ethan down and watches as the boy runs to Chris.

"Crossfire? What crossfire?" Chris asks.

With a smile the man says a single word.

"Ruin."

Just then the ground starts shaking violently moments before the building collapses.

Instinctively Chris grabs Ethan and turns his body to shield him from the fall.

Onlookers from afar would see a terrifying sight. The whole side of the mountain began to collapse, crushing everyone in the vicinity. While beach goers were spared everyone in the lake vicinity was hit by the full weight of the mountain.

It would be hours before emergency services arrived. The dust cloud would last twice that. The news even longer.

With a groan Chris opens his eyes. On his chest is a shaken Ethan.

Chris immediately checks for any wounds but only finds a few scratches. He's immediately grateful that they were on the top of the collapse and not beneath it.

Looking around Chris finds the man from before with half his head crushed by rubble and multiple limbs twisted the wrong way.

Shielding Ethan's eyes, Chris takes to boy while he looks for any other survivors.

A few metres away Chris finds Pressley and Megan.

"Dad! Dad!" Megan shouts over her father's who's laying on the ground.

Chris can tell from his heavy breathing that he's not dead. But the multiple steel bars protruding from his chest tell Chris everything about the man's current life span.

"Thank God. Ethan, you're safe." Pressley whispers when he spots them.

"He passed out." Chris says, when he notices that Ethan did indeed pass out.

"Chris. I want..." Pressley tries to say.

"Don't talk Dad. We still need to get you medical attention." Megan says, tears streaming from her eyes. She's refusing to accept that her father is about to die.

"Chris, please protect my beautiful children." Pressley says, more serious than he'd ever been.

"I will. For as long as I live." Chris promises, kneeling next to the dying man.

Then Pressley turns to Megan.

"My beloved daughter. You look so much like your mother." Pressley says, raising his hand to touch her face.

"Please Dad no! Don't say that! Not now! Get healed up first then you can get as sentimental as you want." Megan replies, her expression twisted into one of pure agony.

"I truly love you and your brother more than I have loved anything else. Good. Bye." Pressley whispers just as the breath of life leaves him.

"Dad! Dan No! Please Don't Die!" Megan says before she starts sobbing uncontrollably.

Putting Ethan down Chris stands up to look around and give her some space.

His entire team managed to survive out of sheer luck, since they'd been on the beach.

Besides Chris, Megan and Ethan a total of eleven people survived the disaster. Hundreds died in the initial collapse. A dozen more due to accidents caused by disorientation.

Even more died due to their wounds before paramedics could arrive.

Meanwhile, in a different part of the country, a group of shadowy figures were watching the events unfold on a large screen.

"Incredible!" One exclaimed.

"And that only a test run? I can't wait to see the final product." A second said.

To summarise, the group was very satisfied with the results.

But there was also a third party.

And a man in a wheelchair, shrouded in darkness, stared at the screen in disgust. Next to him stood the short warrior who had the same tech as Chris and Eve.

And we leave off the season with a fitting quote.

"SOON COME CHAOS. CHAOS SOON COME." - Cletus Kasady.