Road Trip

"Are you certain that is what you heard?" Kira asks.

Chris nods in reply.

"Protocol states that we should inform Pressley. But doing so would make it more difficult to catch these guys since his methods are way too obvious and clumsy." Kira says, as if to herself.

Then after a few moments of thought she looks up.

"Ok here's what we're gonna do. Pack in some combat gear, but not so much that it's conspicuous. If something happens we'll deal with it. As for Pressley, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it." She tells them.

"Right." The team says in unison before turning to pack a few last minute essentials.

Afterwards, just as he leaves the room he sees a few familiar faces.

"Hey Chris." Megan says when she notices. Next to her is Ethan and Pressley.

"Hey. Did something happen?" He asks, trying to avoid Pressley's gaze.

"No. Why would you think that?" She replies, confused.

"Because I didn't tell him y'all were coming along." Kira responds from behind Chris.

"For such a great team leader you sometimes make foolish mitakes." Sam says, as if scolding Kira.

"Basically whenever we go on a trip we use Dictator Pressley's van cause our personal cars are too small for everyone plus luggage. We've been doing it since before we were given the experimental status." Sam explains.

"I see." Chris replies.

Once everyone is done loading the luggage they divided into two groups.

The guys, Chris, Pressley and Ethan in Pressley's pickup truck with all the luggage.

The girls got into Pressley's minivan.

Then they hit the road, with Pressley leading the way.

During the trip both groups start conversations of their own.

"There is something I want to discuss with you." Pressley says once he notices Ethan focusing intently on his video game, earpieces preventing him from hearing their conversation.

"I'm listening." Chris replies.

"It's about the enemy that attacked you. Have you looked at the footage since then?" Pressley asks.

"Not really. Why?"

"Their height. Whoever that is they're very short. Almost as if they were a kid." Pressley tells him.

Chris's eyes narrow at the idea that Eden could be using child soldiers.

"What are the chances Eden would use child soldiers?" Pressley asks the question on Chris's mind.

"I wouldn't put it beyond them. I remember one of the soldiers on their side during that final battle was still just seventeen." Chris explains.

When Pressley doesn't say anything Chris goes on.

"That same soldier had brutally murdered his own family before joining Eden. To sum it all up, Eden is a fucked up organisation that does really fucked up shit."

"The young man you're referring to, did he happen to be student council president at his school?" Pressley asks.

"Yeah, why?" Chris responds, confused.

"His cousin is in your unit. Do you think she could be connected to Eden?" Pressley explains.

"Melissa? Doubt it. Eden didn't recruit family members often, so as to avoid emotional complications. There was also no indication that they had made contact with his family members." Chris replies. He wants to add that they had done a background check on Melissa for that reason, but he knew that would make him suspicious. Besides, their check came back negative for any prior contact with Eden.

Meanwhile the girls have their own conversation about something far removed from business, unlike the guys.

"It says here that they make some of the best souffle in the country." Jill says, pointing at the brochure she has in her hand.

"They do, it's absolutely divine." Megan replies.

"I agree. Although my favourite is at the Draconic Hotel up North." Eve suddenly says, causing everyone to turn to her.

"You've been here before?" Melissa asks, shocked.

"Multiple times. It's a favourite vacation spot for our family." Eve replies, pointing at the brochure.

"Never mind that, you've been to the Draconic Hotel?" Kira asks.

"I have. My sister in law owns it." Eve tells them.

Everyone looks at her in shock.

"You don't seem like a rich girl." Sam comments.

"I'm not. My sister in law is the rich one. And my brother is on his way their with his business." Eve explains.

"Man, I wish I was born into your family." Melissa comments.

"I bet. Especially if it means having met Chris sooner." Jill says nudging Melissa.

Eve chuckles as she watches a bashful Melissa trying desperately to deny everything Jill is saying.

But, Eve's eyes are not smiling. Her mind has wandered to all the pain Eden has caused her family. Pain that no amount of money would ever be able to fix.