• 2 •

"Oyee, Inderjeet !! Uth jaa mere yaara !!(Oyee, Inderjeet !! Wake up bro !!)" Shashi said as he tried to wake Inderjeet up.

"What's the matter man ?" Inderjeet said as he opened his eyes.

"Wake up lazy man ! Our train will reach Pune in an hour. You need to wake up before that." Shashi said as he tries to wake Inderjeet from his sleep.

"Okay... I'm up... Dusro ko bhi uthayega ya nahi ? (Okay... I'm up... Are you going to wake others up or not ?)" Inderjeet jumped from his seat.

"Except our dear Inder sir, everyone is awake. Now go, get dressed. Are you going to meet you child like this ?" Shashi said as Inderjeet sat.

"Fine. I'll be ready in ten. Move now !" Inderjeet said as Shashi smiled.

-------------------------

They all bid each other good bye and left for their homes. Shashi and Inderjeet stayed at the Army Quaters. They were neighbours, too. Arpita, Inderjeet's wife and Nisha welcomed both of them.

Days went by quickly. Shashi used to live alone along with his Butler Mandeep and house maid Priya. Both of them worked with him since the day he joined the Army. They were like a second family to him. Nisha, Shashi's sister used to live along with her husband and her daughter. Shashi used to visit them every week.

-------------------------

"Good morning Shashi !" Nisha greeted him as he entered her house.

"Good morning !" Shashi replied as a little girl, about four years old came running to him.

"मामा आला !! माझ्यासाठी काय खाऊ आणला आहेस तू मामा ? (Yay uncle came back !! What gifts have you bought for me ?)" Sakshi, the little daughter of Nisha asked as she sat in Shashi's lap.

"Umm, I don't know, but maybe my little princess likes chocolates ?" Shashi said as he gave Sakshi a small bag filled with chocolates.

"Wow. This is awesome ! Can I have this Aai (mom)?" Sakshi asked Nisha to which she nodded.

"Yay ! Thank you Mama (uncle)!" Sakshi went upstairs as Nisha sat besides Shashi.

"You are spoiling her day by day, Shashi. She will eat your head one day if you don't fulfil her wishes..." Nisha said as Shashi smirked.

"Let her enjoy. She's just a little kid." Shashi said.

"Okay... Well, do you know why you are called here ?" Nisha asked as she looked a little tensed.

"I know why you have called me... It's about our visit to our village, right ?" Shashi said as Nisha smiled.

"How come you guess everything that's on my mind ? Well, speaking of that, I won't be able to come with you next week." Nisha said as Shashi looked at her with questioned face.

"But why ?" Shashi asked.

"I have an operation on that day. And patient's condition is critical. I need to constantly be present at the hospital. I'm sorry Shashi..." Nisha said as Shashi smiled.

"डॉक्टरीण बाई, तुमचे काम महत्त्वाचे आहे. तुझे इथेच राहणे आवश्यक आहे. आपण पुढच्या वर्षी एकत्र जाऊ, ठीके ? (My dear doctor, your work is important. You need to stay here. We will go together next year, okay ?)" Shashi said to which Nisha laughed.

"Are you gonna be here the next year ?" She asked as he scratched his neck.

"Basically, speaking of which, I think so.... I don't know..." Shashi said as his work was very unpredictable.